How many neon tetras for a 46 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FISHGUY40219

Aquarium Advice Newbie
How many neons do you think i can put in a 46 gallon and have room for them to live, I would also like to add a pleco, would one be enough? Thanks

one of the smaller plecos would be fine for a 46g.
for the neons, it depends on how frequently you want to do pwc's. but for the regular once-a-week pwc's, i'd go for a school of 15 or less. i'd have had 20+, but then i'd have heavily planted the tank too. but understocking is always better than overstocking.

46 gallon is a decent size, and the Neon tetra's are really small. Why only 15?

remember not to make your tank look like a a feeder fish tank, and that the neons should have enough swimming space of their own.

hc8719 said:
remember not to make your tank look like a a feeder fish tank, and that the neons should have enough swimming space of their own.

I agree. If you opt for the BN pleco types, that are no larger than 6" or so, then you could feasibly keep a couple. I would go for a school of 20 neons.

also before you get all excited about a huge school of neons, unless larger fish are present, the neons will drift off, and not school.

larger fish keep them in line

Back
Top Bottom