How many of Each?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Botia4Life

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was thinking in my 45 gallon tank w/ sand, angelfish, cories, some ottos, and true rummynose tetras. How many of each would be able to be in the tank, for optimum thriving.

Angel pair
6 ottos
6 cories
6 rummynose tetras

I add the tetras first, angels second, cories third, and ottos last. Hope that helps.

The only difference i say, is if you want to eventually get a pair of angels, you will want to start with about 6, and then take the others back once you've established a pair.
Also, you have room to go for 8 of each of the schools of fish, and i think bigger schools are better! THe only thing i would add is maybe a bristlenose pleco or some sort that stays small... but thats just because i love plecos.. LOL

I agree with Ashley on the angels, it's not easy to find an established pair. Though you could drop the number to 5. A bristlenose pleco would complete your stocking and provide much needed gravel maintenance. :D

I third the idea get 5 or 6 juvies. There fun to watch grow. LFS will always take young adult angels when you decide on your pair and if you get reall attached you will just have to get another tank. :D I like the bristlenose idea as well.

Do not add the Tetra's first. True Rummynose Tetras are sensitive to water conditions, especially Ammonia and Nitrites. Only add them if the tank is completly cycled. They have a high death rate in un-cycled tanks. If you do add them first, the tank needs to be cycled, and only add the Tetras. Then a week or two later add the next school of fish. But pay close attention to ammonia readings with each addition of fish and do water changes accordingly.

So add the cories and pleco first, then true rummynose, and then angels? Are you sure that LFS's take fish? I've never seen that happen.

I would definitely fishless cycle... find some pure ammonia as rich said, then once it is cycled id start with the cories... because cories are pretty tough little fish (at least the ones i have are) I didn't know about fishless cycling when i started and my 2 cories lasted through from the begining and are still kicking almost 9 months later!

Most fish stores will buy fish back for a percent of what they can sell for... like 1/3 of what they can sell for. And most definitely take adult angels back because they are good sellers... and they can make a pretty decent profit off of them.

Botia4Life said:
So add the cories and pleco first, then true rummynose, and then angels? Are you sure that LFS's take fish? I've never seen that happen.

I think what was suggested is to add the tetras only after the cycle is complete. Tetras should always be the first fish in the tank and the bottom dweller's last.

LFS will take fish back depending on their policy or their knowledge of you. It's not an all around policy for sure.

Jchillin said:
Tetras should always be the first fish in the tank and the bottom dweller's last.

Why? I added my cories first with no problems.. tetras were actually the last thing ive added. What is the rational for that?

Corys are generally pretty hardy and can usually be added to newly cycled tanks first with no problems. That said, I don't usually like to do it because being bottem feeders who constantly graze I always feel like they are gonna be hungry in a new tank. Also bottem feeders are generally added last because any problems in a new tank will generally affect the bottem feeders first.

If you end up buying a bunch of angels in the hopes of getting a pair then I would probably just add the angels, after the fishless cycle, and wait until a pair has formed then buy your other fish later when you take the remaining angels back.

Tetras should always be the first fish in the tank and the bottom dweller's last.

I think I've read that somewhere.

I don't think it matters which fish you add first, as long as the tank is properly cycled.

Botia4Life said:
but do I have to use pure Ammonia, what about just putting some frozen food and flake food in there and letting it sit?

you can do that, its just messy and smelly and you may get tired of it really fast... Also the pure ammonia helps you to get a higher bacterial colony so you can add more fish at once time.

Back
Top Bottom