how many of you have back up generators?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jojobo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I think that its very important that i get one. Hurricane sandy killed power for 2 weeks :ermm:. Let me know what generator you used and how it worked. :thanks:

I got a champion 3500, around $300 and it works great, very quite..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think that its very important that i get one. Hurricane sandy killed power for 2 weeks :ermm:. Let me know what generator you used and how it worked. :thanks:

I'm wondering if you're in NJ? I am. Had a tank full of mbuna, for us, power went out 3-4 days, had 3 canisters that stopped during the power outage. I pretty much gave up on them since the temperature also dropped into the 40's. Power came back after 3-4 days and all of my fish were alive... What? Didn't expect that but I think for a tank or tanks any small generator that can support a couple of filters and heaters would do.
Curious to read what others use.

No, im in new york. Im glad to hear your fish made it. I was lucky, i did not have fish yet during sandy. 2 weeks! That would have sucked. I think the champion 1500 will do, but i will have to see how much power i need.

I have a 10k generac cause I have electric everything and a well for water at my house so if we loss power we loss everything. It can run most of the house and of corse my fish tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

May as well get something that will run the fridge and a TV too;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Better get one big enough to run the furnace, fridge, and lights. If power goes out during cold weather the aquarium won't keep the house warm. Several large gas cans too; gotta feed the generator fairly often, and you don't want to run out of fuel in the middle of the night. May have to drive a bit to refill them, depending on how widespread the outage is.

I'm heavily understocked and the tank is next to the woodstove.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If heating the house and tank aren't a problem you could get by with battery powered air pumps. I have a dozen of those on hand, they worked well enough when the power was out for 3 days during warm weather. Didn't even kill any of the alkaline batteries (2 D cells each) using them that long.

6000 or 6500w. Enough to power my fridge, the neighbors on the first and second floor, selective lighting, tv, and cable box. Along with a 10g RCS, a 10g nano SW, and a 55g with a canister.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Back
Top Bottom