How many SAE's for a 55g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cgcaver

Aquarium Advice Regular
I know most planted tanks should have some algae eating fauna, and I really have meant to pick some up, but Im seeing a lot of green splotches on my rocks lately, which has pushed me to go ahead and get some algae eaters. Frankly, the algae has turned my rocks green (not completely yet) over the last 3-4 days. I see no strands or hairs of algae, its just like someone colored the rocks green with a crayon. Will SAE's eat this type of algae? Im also battling hazy, green water here lately (which I know they won't help, just saying). Before you say it - I know SAE's dont cure algae, but I would like to go ahead and get some, because I've been meaning to, and they can't hurt, right?

SAE's top off at 5-6" at most...not a foot.

I'd say 2-3. I have 5 in my 75gallon, and they eat less algae than my cichlids.

and if you have some slower fish they might get stressed out. sAE's are constantly moving. mine chased eachother around the tank most of the day. now im not so sure they were real, but i thought they were. they were constantly circling my 29 gallon.

SAEs are active swimmers and schoaler's, but they don't get aggressive. The CAE's...now those get aggressive, and give up on algae in favor of other fish's slime coats.
they also get to be 8-9".

Its a common mistake. CAE are the ones that get big and aggressive while SAE stay smaller 6" and aren't aggressive. I agree with Malkore 2-3 will be good.

Back
Top Bottom