How many tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Venom_

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi I just recently set up my first community tank and don't have much experience with tetras. My tank is a 36g bow front and currently has 7 black neon tetras. I have an aquaclear 50 running and will be getting another one soon. I want to know if my final stock list will be okay and if I can add more.

Final stock:
8 black neon tetras
8 neon tetras
8 rummy nose tetras
2 apistogrammas

Will I be able to add more fish?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399335406.949718.jpg pic of my tank drift wood still soaking.

Have you tried aqadvisor? They are conservative so 110-115% would be fine IMO. That's going to look really cool in the end.

Awesome tank :) I love your driftwood! some green plants would look nice though.
Your stock sounds ok to me, although 3 schools might look pretty chaotic.

A shoal of 20+ black neons would look interesting in that tank. Love the black water effect of the roots and fallen leaves.

I go by Aqadvisor also, and agree they are conservative. I do take their recommended water changes to heart. Especially since you have nothing that will use nitrate except to change the water.

I'm partial to tetras and other SA fish so I love the fish you've selected. Your tank is very cool.

Awesome tank :) I love your driftwood! some green plants would look nice though.
Your stock sounds ok to me, although 3 schools might look pretty chaotic.

Thanks for the kind words:) I'm not going to add any plants though maybe just some floating plants and yea you're probably right but my tetras don't even school though. Why?

Thanks for the kind words:) I'm not going to add any plants though maybe just some floating plants and yea you're probably right but my tetras don't even school though. Why?

When they feel at home, unstressed and/or there are no other fish challenging them, they often do not school. Let something spoof them and you should see them group up.

Oh ok cool. I mimicked their natural water conditions by using RO water and 3 gallons of tap and lowering the ph to 6.6, still lowering even more to almost 6.0.

A shoal of 20+ black neons would look interesting in that tank. Love the black water effect of the roots and fallen leaves.

Ok maybe I'll do that haha, but what do think of adding 6 hatchet fish with the tetras and Apistos ? I know they jump out so I'll cover the open areas.

The more fish you have in a school, the better they are at schooling. Maybe have two larger schools instead of 3 smaller schools. Or even just one school of 23-25 fish, though I understand wanting some variety.

Just be careful. You don't need to go that low on the pH. Stable is more important than exact pH. I'm concerned about the pH crashing on you. You also want to make sure you have the proper minerals and may want to look into Kent RO Right. Seachem has something like that, too but I forget its name. What you are embarking on can be very tricky. Maybe start a new thread and ask those who have done it (unless you already know this and if so I apologize in advance for my concern).

The thought of a pH that low of it scares me, I'll admit. I use a little peat in my filter (2 T) for a 29 gallon tank. It doesn't really lower my pH but does add some tannins. My pH is 7.8. My KH is 4 degrees and my GH is 11 degrees. I have rummys, pristellas, and corys.

Last edited:
We'll I'm not going to go super low on my ph. My ph is 6.6 right now and seems to stay consistent all day, so I don't think its fluctuating. What would be some things that would cause the ph to fluctuate?

When the buffering capacity gets too low there are numerous things that can cause a pH crash. One dead fish can more than do it. Do you have a KH and GH test kit?

When the buffering capacity gets too low there are numerous things that can cause a pH crash. One dead fish can more than do it. Do you have a KH and GH test kit?

No not yet but I'm going to get one. I have to order it because my LFS doesn't sell one.

If you alter your tank pH to be too different from your tap water, every time you do a water change the pH will change, stressing out the fish.
Also remember that the lower the pH, the slower the beneficial bacteria activity is. And it stops altogether at a pH of 6.

If you alter your tank pH to be too different from your tap water, every time you do a water change the pH will change, stressing out the fish.
Also remember that the lower the pH, the slower the beneficial bacteria activity is. And it stops altogether at a pH of 6.

I don't use tap water I use RO water and like 8% tap.

They will school after you add the apisto

Low ph is not absolutely necessary unless you have wild caught fish or plan to breed the apisto

I would like to breed them but i don't know if they will with the tetras around?

Back
Top Bottom