how many tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unicorn2tears

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've almost decided what I want for my next tank but I still haven't figured out the numbers. It will be a 12 gal with a focus on bloodfin tetras. I'd like to also add in an african dwarf frog or two and perhaps a few flame tetras or serpae tetras. How many of each kind of tetra could I put in? Any ideas for something else that would work? The tank will be planted.

You should do 1" of fish per gallon. So you could do something like 1 ADF, 2 serpae, 4 bloodfin, and 2 flame tetras but make sure to keep up with water changes and have a good filter.

they are so much more fun in schools
I would pick one you like the most and have a school of them (approx 5 of em)

Serpaes should be kept in quantities of no less then 6, if you keep less then this they may become agressive and start nipping at all the other fish..

Tetras are relatively low waste fish, you could safely go with about 15" of tetras (grown size) in that tank..

Perhaps the best set would be rummynose, thier formations are the nicest I've seen of the tetras.. Perhaps 6-8 of them, and a couple small cories for bottom feeders.

If you are looking for tetras that play well and you just want a couple, check into blackskirt tetras (Balck Widow Tetras), they seem to do well in pairs.. and they aren't agressive at all (have 2 in my 75). Please avoid the painted variety, these are known as "Fruitloop Tetras", Popsicle tetras, etc.... as they are very stressed and seem to be worse for wear when you get them in the tank (besides I never see them move at the LFS)

Watch out for your frogs too.. My tetras used to nip at him but they lost interest.. but still.. also, I have heard where peoples HOB filters have sucked up their frogs, which is why i have a small little panty hose footy over my filter which i clean in the mornings and before i go to bed.

Rach, I know you probably weren't talking to me but my tetras never have nipped at my frog. My diamond has never nipped at anyone, one of my serpaes sometimes will chase the other for a little and may nip but no damage is really done. Maybe I just got lucky with mine not really being nippy?

Back
Top Bottom