How many times do you feed your fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
Its not a question on how many times one should feed their fish. Its like a general poll that how many times do you feed your fish during one day.

Thanks.

I feed 2 times daily in 75g community because I feel everyone in the bottom doesn't get enough and I have 3 groups corycats and yoyo coaches.

Sent from my N9130 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

kas...

I feed once a day. I feed a variety of low phosphate flakes, freeze dried and frozen foods. I include one day a week that I don't feed. This let's the fish forage for leftovers and keeps the tank cleaner.

B

I also feed once a day, but I also have a planted aquarium so I know the fish can nibble on the plants like they would in the wild. Other I know feed multiple times a day. I used to feed in the morning, but now I feed in the evening. If you do feed in the morning, make sure the lights have been on for at least 15 minutes to make sure the fish are awake enough to want to eat.

A rule of thumb is their stomachs are as big as their eye, so don't overfeed no matter how hungry they might look. Also, it is important the quality of food and variety of food you feed them.

I feed once a day except in tanks with kuhli loaches and amano shrimp, I drop algae wafers in at night for them.

I also feed once a day, with one day a week where I don't feed them, as BBradbury said, so they'll forage around a bit. I give them assorted frozen food, blanched veggies, flakes, and pellets all in rotation. The bottom feeders get food every other day (they usually prefer to find scraps than to have their own sinking food, LOL) and they get two kinds of Hikari wafers and shrimp pellets, in rotation. One of my platies *thinks* he's a cory, so when he's done with his food he'll go share with them. Today's brine shrimp and shrimp pellet day; they're going to have a lot of fun with it. :p

Some tanks I feed only once per day; some tanks I feed twice per day. All tanks get a fasting day once per week. I also feed different foods to each tank on different days, per a feeding schedule, so the fish get a wide variety of foods; some dry, some frozen, some fresh.

Oh dear, oh dear, I feed 3 times a day.
Only 1 tank 60 ltr, 15 fish.
Looks like I had better cut down.

Twice a day rotating a variety of diets I do it to make sure All get fed some are more aggressive than others in Feeding

It all depends on which type of fish are in the tank. Some of mine get 3 times per day and some only once.

There was a recent post on another site about the different fish's eating habits ( ie grazers, gulpers, etc) which drove this point home: fish that are normally grazers should be fed frequently but not a lot at each feeding. Gulpers, meaning fish that eat other fish, can be fed once a day as it takes them time to digest the fish/ food they just ate.
You don't really help the grazer fish by feeding them only once and making that a large feeding because most of that food will end up in your filtering system. These fish generally have small stomachs so they can't eat a lot at any one feeding period. You don't help the gulper by feeding them throughout the day as they are notorious for eating everything they can get into their mouths because by nature, they never really know when their next meal is going to come.
So there is no one correct way that fits all fish. It's selective. (y)

Hope this helps (y)

Back
Top Bottom