How much ammonia should I let my Betta live in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zpacam

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have him in a 2.5 gallon with gravel, no live plants, and no filter. I have been doing 30-40% water changes twice weekly because I have measured ammonia levels of around 1.5ppm. Is this necessary? I would really like to cut down my water changes to about once a week or less if possible but I wanted to know what my betta can tolerate. Thanks in advance!

With a two gallon tank you can get away cleaning it only once every two weeks I do suggest that you get some plants as bettas love them java moss is good. As for the ammonia level I really couldn't tell you that I haven't read much on that but I can tell you you are cleaning that size tank too often to worry about the ammonia being too high A constant PH is best to keep ammonia levels down, The higher the pH the sooner your ammonia levels can rise.So be aware of that.

Some good websites
www.bettasrus.com
www.bettastarz.com

a 2.5 gallon tank needs to have the water changed a lot more then every too weeks if you dont have a filter, i would keep doing what your doing as for the ammonia i would be going crazy if my ammonia got to 1.5 i dont ever let it reach .05 and try too keep it at 0

If your ammonia is 1.5, i think you should think about a filter or increase your water changes dramatically. Every 2 weeks is far to long. i think you should be checking your ammonia every other day and water changing accordingly.

Also (mostly for Ze), while pH plays a role in the level of ammonia (the more free H+, the equillibrium that exists between NH3 and NH4 is pushed towards NH4), controlling your pH will not control ammonia. Your fish are constantly adding ammonia to the system, you must rely on your biological filter and water changes to keep living conditions good for your betta.

The bottom line....

Most betta owners have no idea whatsoever about ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and are usually mystified when their betta dies of ammonia poisoning. Can't blame most ppl, though, as the petstore that sells them the fish without giving them any care info. Bettas are tolerant of ammonia, but this doesn't mean that they enjoy it!

I'd suggest a small filter. A 2.5 can house a green cartridge filter (I have a 2.5 with one of these), or a smaller bubbler filter, which is slightly larger than air stone). Just look at the cheapest or smallest filters in your LFS, and buy yourself an air pump to go with it ($6-$15). Keep doing water changes, and try to keep the ammonia to 0 if possible.

you might even be ablie too fit and aqua clear mini on there and that will help bring down your water changes.

I truly do not mind changing the water often for the sake of my fish. However, I'm also worried about changing the water TOO often and stressing out my betta. I do use a siphon but he still seems not to be too happy during the water changes. As for the filter idea, I had the Penn-Plax small world filter running but the air pump was too loud (Rena) and the filter was too strong (I even used gang valves). So I had to scrap that idea. I've found that the day after my water changes the level drops to around .75ppm or so but a few days later it will rise above 1ppm and I get worried and do another water change. Are you guys saying that even 1ppm is very toxic for him? Again, I don't want him stressed too much during water changes if possible. Thanks in advance!

I just did a search and it looks like ammo-lock should be used only if I have a strong biological filter in place, which I don't. How about adding amquel once a week or so?

ever tryed a small underground filter for him?
my free ammonia is 0.0 and total ammonia is 0.03 and i would say that an ammonia of 1.0 is going too damage his gills and become toxic enuff too kill him.

No I haven't... Maybe I will look into that but do they make it for my 2.5 gallon? I will look around... THanks.

Float a couple of pieces of hornwort in the tank, or stick it down in the gravel. It will help soak up a little of that ammonia between water changes.

It won't prevent you from doing the water changes but it may improve the quality of the water in between so that its not toxic for the fish.

And I bet the betta would love the plants to swim through! :D

I have a betta in a 5.5 gallon tank. Your 2 gallon tank is fine, but in order to do water changes only once a week, you need a biological filter -- the "good" bacteria. I do water changes in my 5.5 gallon once a week. You will still have to measure your ammonia level once or twice a week and see if the once a week water changes are keeping the ammonia down. Larger tanks are easier to keep stable, so you still have to watch the ammonia levels in your small tank, but getting a biological filter in there will help. Even though bettas can supposedly tolerate some ammonia in the water since they can breathe oxygen at the surface, you still should keep the water level ammonia at 0. When I got my second betta, his gills got burned from high ammonia levels (he was blue and his gill area turned a brownish color) and this area never turned blue again, but he lived to over a year old. So, it's important to keep ammonia levels at 0 or as close to 0 as possible. When the tank cycles, the ammonia reading will be 0 consistently (unless you add another fish, which you probably won't to this tank).

Do you have access to Bio-Spira? It's about $10.00 for a one ounce pouch, and you're not going to use the whole pouch, but that would be the best way to get your good bacteria in there for your biological filtration. If you add the Bio-Spira, DO NOT add Amquel. The Amquel will end up binding to the good bacteria in the Bio-Spira. The good bacteria will not get your biological filtration started in the presence of Amquel, and then the Bio-Spira will be wasted.

The other equipment I have in my tank is a Jungle Jr. Dirt Magnet filter, hooked to a TetraTec Deep Water 12 airpump (but it's a very small, quiet pump) and also run through a gang valve.

I don't think a UGF would be helpful. It's such a small tank that I dont think you could find one that fits. I have never had one, but I think you need a good airflow/ water flow to go through them, and that may be too much current for the betta.

zpacam said:
No I haven't... Maybe I will look into that but do they make it for my 2.5 gallon? I will look around... THanks.

yes they do my daughter has one on her betta tank and the ammonia is a steady 0.0

Back
Top Bottom