How Much Crushed Coral to Use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Deirdre are you in Portland? How did I miss that?

I'm in Portland too, I've lived in both water "areas" ... Our water is extremely soft. Usually just 1 drop from KH and GH tests change color.

Coral didn't do anything for me, even at twice the levels recommended here.

My secret formula is for each not quite full 5 gallon bucket (so, probably 4 gallons), I add 1/4 tsp each Chiclid buffer (from Petsmart) and Seachem Equilibrium (from The Wet Spot). That puts me at 4 drops for each and I've never had a pH swing since.

You can buy one container each API Cichlid Buffer and API Chiclid Salts at Petsmart, but I wanted the micronutrients in Equilibrium.

If you are in Portland I'd be happy to give you a few sample doses to see if it works for you. Pm me if you'd like.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Yes I live in NW portland! Have you also struggled with pH issues??
Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely try that. I have to make a run to the wet spot run so I'll pick some up when I'm there!

Yes I live in NW portland! Have you also struggled with pH issues??
Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely try that. I have to make a run to the wet spot run so I'll pick some up when I'm there!

So jealous, I miss NW ...

Yes. PH nightmares for about 8 months. World of Wet Pets had me try both alkaline and acid buffers and that was worse. But I read the suggestion in my favorite fish book: don't use anything for pH, unless you have very soft water ... Then use buffered cichlid salts.

You're on the same water supply I'm on right now. It's like .01 drops GH and KH.

Wet spot has their own cichlid stuff, you'll have to ask them if it affects GH and KH or just KH. If it's just KH you can get equilibrium for GH.

The person on here who helped me get started, who is local, said shoot for 4 degrees/drops on each test. It's worked for me, I have had zero pH issues since starting this routine.

The dosing on the equilibrium can be hard to figure off the label, took me awhile to find 1/4 tsp in about 4 gallons is the sweet spot (heaping, for plants).

Also ask the Wet Spot for their wide range pH kit. They told me it's better to just keep it stable around 7, not freak over the 7.2 vs 7.4. I have one tank that likes to be sort of avocado green, one that likes to be sort of pine green.

I'm surprised all the local fish stores don't recommend this ... I had one tell me "oh your water is extremely soft, that's never a problem." Even the wet spot seemed surprised I use cichlid stuff without cichlids. But that was a good fishkeeping book.

Since it's a change in total dissolved solids, I dripped the new water into the tanks to transition over a few hours.

I also find it easier to do the GH and KH tests in a shot glass on a white piece of paper. Stir with one hand while adding drops with the other. Easier to see the color shift.

Good luck! I hope it stabilizes for you.

So nice to hear someone else has had the same issue. I never really have discussions with people at the wetspot, I just talk to people on my forum and then buy stuff there lol

I will definitely get in there and get some cichlid buffers

Yeah ... I constantly wonder why this isn't more common knowledge in our area. The Wet Spot could make a pretty penny selling a bottle of "Portland water tonic for community tanks" to each customer. and you'd think every PetSmart would jump at the chance to sell everyone two $11 bottles of cichlid salts and buffer.

So nice to hear someone else has had the same issue. I never really have discussions with people at the wetspot, I just talk to people on my forum and then buy stuff there lol

I will definitely get in there and get some cichlid buffers

So how is it going, 2 weeks later?

So how is it going, 2 weeks later?

The pH has been perfect, stayed at 6.8 since I got the coral! Thanks for checking. One of my rams has recently started sitting on the ground instead of swimming....so I've been thinking about posting a thread about that :(

The pH has been perfect, stayed at 6.8 since I got the coral! Thanks for checking. One of my rams has recently started sitting on the ground instead of swimming....so I've been thinking about posting a thread about that :(

Yeah in the sick fish section ...

Out of curiosity, how much coral did you use and did you add anything else? I'd love to hear a coral success story!

Yes I know in the sick fish section lol

I used 1/2 cup per 10 gallons and my pH raised really quickly from 5.0 to 6.0 and then slowly rose to 6.8. Once I got to the desired pH (6.8) I took out the coral and it's only gone down to 6.4 once but it's pretty stable other than that. Really happy it worked for me! Plants are much happier which makes the fish happier!

And yes if you added too much you must remove it! Test your pH and unless for some reason you still have a normal level, get the coral out of there! What's your pH now?

Back
Top Bottom