How much do you feed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CouponDiva

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am curious as to how much everyone feed's their fish?

Also with pleco's - how often do you feed them? Do you give them veggies once a day or once a week?

:fish2:

i feed 2 times daily. my plecos love a green bean snack a few times a week

i feed my fish everyother day.. if i feel like they are "hungry" aka starving for attention i will feed them while i am sitting and watching them.

i try to feed vegetables once a week. .. your other fish (not just pleco) will benefit and enjoy vegetables as well..

I feed every night, I try to do every other day but they beg so bad. I also have to hide the food from my father in law who thinks they are starving

rreekers said:
i feed my fish everyother day.. if i feel like they are "hungry" aka starving for attention i will feed them while i am sitting and watching them.

i try to feed vegetables once a week. .. your other fish (not just pleco) will benefit and enjoy vegetables as well..

I put some zucchini in my tank today and they didn't seem to care. Maybe I will try some lettuce?

sometimes it takes them a few encounter to vegetables to know what they are... mine didnt seem interested in zucchini when i tried it.. but they go crazy for peas. i have been told that lettuce isnt the best option, spinach is better. mine really like broccoli .

try fasting them for a day or 2 and then introduced some vegetable. are you softening them up? i put frozen peas in a Tupperware container with some water for 2 mins in the microwave.

I feed flake twice a day and brine shrimp twice a week. I also throw in a couple algae tabs for the plecs a couple times week.

I feed my clown loach school and plecos algae wafers and bottom feeder pellets three times daily
Also zucchini one night, bloodworm the next. And repeat.
Day 7 no food at all.
Water change every two days. They grow fast ;)

rreekers said:
sometimes it takes them a few encounter to vegetables to know what they are... mine didnt seem interested in zucchini when i tried it.. but they go crazy for peas. i have been told that lettuce isnt the best option, spinach is better. mine really like broccoli .

try fasting them for a day or 2 and then introduced some vegetable. are you softening them up? i put frozen peas in a Tupperware container with some water for 2 mins in the microwave.

Good to know! So hard to fast them lol
I heated the zucchini up yes..I will try again tomorrow
does it matter if the times vary? My work schedule is all over so some times they get fed at 6 am the next 9 am. same with pm..

Flake 1-2 a day. Algae rounds 1 every few days. Marine algae 1 "piece" every few days as well for oto catfish. Those guys wouldn't eat anything else I tried! Pretty sure I lost one to starvation, the poor little guy. The 2 remaining seem happy now though.

Normally daily for the fish, diet would be pellets, flakes, frozen and live food, Flakes and Pellets being the staple with frozen and live once a week

Pleco's when i had two Bristlenose plec's they got Veg once a week normally Cucumber and Courgette (zucchini ), veg was left in for 24hrs then removed.

They also would take Algae wafers, Plec logs, and Sinking wafers would feed these twice a week.

Twice a day in small amounts with one day a week no food as heard it is crucial to do this to help digestive system.
My 2 bn catfish have pellets at night too.

smomus said:
Good to know! So hard to fast them lol
I heated the zucchini up yes..I will try again tomorrow
does it matter if the times vary? My work schedule is all over so some times they get fed at 6 am the next 9 am. same with pm..

my feedings are all over the place also! I don't worry about it.. some time they don't get fed for 2-3 days they are perfectly fine.. some people will argue that time of feeding needs to be consistent, just like people think that the switching of lights on and off needs to be consistent and I disagree.. sometime I leave the light off all day..

but feeding wise don't worry about it! if you continue to have a hard time feeding vegetables , try frozen peas-- deshell them and thaw in water in microwave. they seem to go over the best.

do you feed any "meaty " foods -frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, myasis shrimp, ect..

in my opinion fish need a mix of meaty foods, vegetables, flakes, (pellets for fish that will eat them, wafers for plecos/snails/ ect)
I get NLS small (1mm i think) sinking pellets and all my fish go crazy for them

I feed flakes everyday except Sunday. The times vary, I get down there when I can. I throw in a few algae tabs and shrimp pellets for my plecos, cats and loaches a few times a week.

I feed flakes/pellets every morning before work. I skip one day a week usually, they forage for food much more when I do this so there isn't any left overs.

I tried zucchini and cucumbers with little luck. However, I chopped up some cucumber this morning in my chopping machine and they went NUTS! I think the larger pieces intimidated them, as opposed to tiny little bits floating.. Much more desirable apparently.

I try to feed my pleco and kuhlis at night, lights off, when my barbs and krib are sleeping. But those fish are no dummies, they literally wake up from the smell of food in the water and I think they get it before my pleco and kuhlis.

Back
Top Bottom