How much does a sump change stocking capacity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm looking at getting a used 55 gallon that has a 20 gallon sump. Does this mean I can stock it like a 75? I'd think territory would be an issue but then again my fish are pretty peaceful community species and I'd just get more of similar temperaments ...

Next comes the inevitable - stocking ideas? Heavily planted, bringing over tetras, rasboras, danios, Pygmy loaches, and Otos from my 29. Not interested in cories or plecos. Softer water.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I'm looking at getting a used 55 gallon that has a 20 gallon sump. Does this mean I can stock it like a 75? I'd think territory would be an issue but then again my fish are pretty peaceful community species and I'd just get more of similar temperaments ...

Next comes the inevitable - stocking ideas? Heavily planted, bringing over tetras, rasboras, danios, Pygmy loaches, and Otos from my 29. Not interested in cories or plecos. Softer water.

No, not really. Majority of what determines stocking capacity is room in the tank and temperament of fish. The sump, while adding some extra water volume, will not give you extra space. Basically all it allows is a little more comfort in dilution of waste and toxins that may be present. Stock like you would a 55 gallon.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks! Makes sense.

That's still almost double the fish, and a lot more plants ... which is going to bring lots of decision making ...

Back
Top Bottom