How much filtration is too much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are also aesthetic factors to consider. Of course it is up to personal preference, but not having a hob filter visible on the back rim is a plus for me since my tank is topless.
As for ease...I only clean my canisters out about once every 6 months, sometimes longer :hide:. That being said, hob's are far easier to clean, and you don't have to buy and replace filter cartridges for AquaClear's. I never did. Just squeeze out the sponge in a bucket of tank water and top off the media basket with filter floss to keep your tank crystal clear.
Just more food for thought...

One other pro on a canister is in line heaters. One less thing in the tank.

There seems to be a lot of different opinions about HOB's vs. canister filters. Can anyone lead me to a site where I might find a pro/con list, or give me their own thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think you just found one.

There are also aesthetic factors to consider. Of course it is up to personal preference, but not having a hob filter visible on the back rim is a plus for me since my tank is topless.
As for ease...I only clean my canisters out about once every 6 months, sometimes longer :hide:. That being said, hob's are far easier to clean, and you don't have to buy and replace filter cartridges for AquaClear's. I never did. Just squeeze out the sponge in a bucket of tank water and top off the media basket with filter floss to keep your tank crystal clear.
Just more food for thought...
^^^^THIS^^^^
Going so long successfully between cleanings is a sign of GREAT stocking and water changes!!
I am aquaclear!
Many love and swear by canisters.
I swear at them.
Big + like mike said on inlines.
Less in tank is more!
I like topless!
I love how easy and cheap my aqua clears are.
I am really a sump guy,go figure(like hiding equipment!).

I love my Fluval 406. It is everything it is cracked up to be, water is crystal clear, but this week was my first 3 month cleaning maintenance. The manual calls for cleaning and lubricating the gaskets on the AquaStop valve. I have no idea where these gaskets are located since there is no diagram of the AquaStop in the manual. Also, when you try to remove the AquaStop valve water come syphoning out of the tank through the ribbed hoses. I thought that might be the case, so I had a bucket underneath. Can you perhaps explain where these gaskets are, and is there a way to remove the valve without taking down the hoses and clamps?

To keep the water from syphoning out of the hose you need to raise the white lever on the Aquastop valve all the way up. That closes the valve preventing water form syphoning out. Then remove the Aquastop from the canister.

I have the Fluval 306 and 406. They work great, are very quiet, and in my opinion easy to maintain.

I run an eheim 2228 and an AC110 on my 65G. The canister gets a mesh grill on the intake, so large debris don't get in it. It really has nothing but a sponge and tons of bio media, and i clean it monthly or every other month depending on my mood.
The AC110 filters large debris and also fine filters for crystal clear water and gets the stuffs that modify the water chemistry. My AC110 needs to have the polishing pad cleaned mid-week, else all the water just gets bypassed.

Consider this; whatever is in the cannister is still in the tank. Regular cleaning that removes solid debris, before it can break down, results in a slower rise in nitrates.

Consider this; whatever is in the cannister is still in the tank. Regular cleaning that removes solid debris, before it can break down, results in a slower rise in nitrates.

So if that's the case, then the more frequent cleaning of HOB filters is healthier than the longer period of time between people cleaning canisters correct?

So if that's the case, then the more frequent cleaning of HOB filters is healthier than the longer period of time between people cleaning canisters correct?
If you only have a canister, I would clean it weekly just like a HOB. If you put a polishing pad, it needs to be cleaned weekly anyways.

If you only have a canister, I would clean it weekly just like a HOB. If you put a polishing pad, it needs to be cleaned weekly anyways.

Weekly?? That's so overkill IMO. Apparently there is a ton of conversion going on in my canisters because my nitrate readings are consistently at or below 20ppm. If I cleaned it out every week, I'd be removing their food source so to speak, therefore limiting the size of my BB colony, correct?
Of course my test results could be due to my weekly (sometimes every 2 week) wc schedule.
Either way, I have a seemingly happy, healthy planted tank with very rare if any fish loss. Looking back, I had a lot more issues when I pestered my tank to death.
I'd go back to my AquaClear's if I had to clean out a canister every week.

Weekly?? That's so overkill IMO. Apparently there is a ton of conversion going on in my canisters because my nitrate readings are consistently at or below 20ppm. If I cleaned it out every week, I'd be removing their food source so to speak, therefore limiting the size of my BB colony, correct?
Of course my test results could be due to my weekly (sometimes every 2 week) wc schedule.
Either way, I have a seemingly happy, healthy planted tank with very rare if any fish loss. Looking back, I had a lot more issues when I pestered my tank to death.
I'd go back to my AquaClear's if I had to clean out a canister every week.
Well, I do at least the polishing pad. Cuz it gets filled up so bad that reduces the flow rate.
If you don't use it, then just do it St the rate you want?

I clean my canister once a month or once every other month, but I have an HOB for polishing.

I'm about to setup a fluval 205 in my 20G. It's still something to explore for me.

My polishing pad on the Eheim is pretty gross by the time I do get around to cleaning, but I still have crystal clear water only changing them about twice a year on both filters. I wouldn't recommend being as slack as I am with cleaning them if frequent water changes weren't being done.
I only get a 20ppm nitrate reading when I go for 2 weeks. Most of the time the results average 5-10ppm.

Eheim canisters are some of the best filters that I've had. Crystal clear water is what I've received from using classic Eheim canisters (I don't know if the more advanced varieties are better or not), and I only clean mine once a month. In my opinion, canister filters are usually better than HOBs in that there is less equipment on the tank, and the water is clearer from my experience.

Eheim canisters are some of the best filters that I've had. Crystal clear water is what I've received from using classic Eheim canisters (I don't know if the more advanced varieties are better or not), and I only clean mine once a month. In my opinion, canister filters are usually better than HOBs in that there is less equipment on the tank, and the water is clearer from my experience.
I hate priming the classic. It's the only reason I gave up my 2217 for a 2228.

I would have to agree with this 100%.
My Eheim Classic 2217 works so much better than my Aquaclear 70 HOB. From crystal clear water quality, to being more silent. Just so much better water and aquarium. Beautiful water.

Just cleaning is a little harder with my canister. Aquaclear is so easy to clean, it doesnt even feel like cleaning.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

^^THIS^^
For the last 35 + years.
Aquaclear!!!!
A simple powerhead or koralia will move water and debris for you.
You will NEVER have more BB then you need so you don't need more if your fish are good?
Many if not all salties know there is a difference between circulation and filter flow.
Sounds to me like you have circulation problem not filter problem.
You will save money,time and get better results if you increase circulation IMO.
Just blow the crap back into the water column where the filter can get it.
If it settles then it settles in a dead spot????

+1 to Bandito..

I have a canister and I have tons of Aquaclear. I love both.

What I don't like..

Canister:
1. every few months having to completely disassemble the canister to clean everything.

2. Bulky

HOB:
1. They often need more frequent cleaning to run healthily.

2. Some can be loud(never encountered this with Aquaclear and I've had 4 tanks in my bedroom)

What I do like:

Canisters:
1. The GPH is lovely and spray bar is nice instead of a waterfall digging a trench in my sand.

2. I have a Cascade 1000 and it is dead silent. You would never know its running.

3. Tons of a space to add extra pads or media

HOB:

1. Smaller and less bulky

2. Easy cleaning*5stars* - just pull out the filter pad and media, swish it in old tank water and put it back in. And every few months take off the motor(Aquaclear is removable) and clean the impeller and stuff to help prevent clogging.

Obviously I prefer HOB but canisters are great if you can put up with the maintenance of cleaning them. Last time I did a really thorough clean on my canister it took about 30 mins compared to 5 minutes with HOB.

Caleb

Thanks everyone! I'm guess I'm kinda torn between the ease of use of the HOB Aquaclear I already have and the promise of super clear and clean water offered by canisters. I'm just concerned about all the technical aspects that go along with canisters and the "what if's" when there's a problem with them.

Back
Top Bottom