How much fish food do I give?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

analioness

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have small pellets ( not sure of brand since I just recently acquired these fish from a previous owner. I'm new to this too). I've been giving them a small sprinkling of less than a 1/4 of a teaspoon. They seem to eat it all and if there are left overs they find it. I feed them ever 2nd day. But each time I come up to the glass they get excited and hang around to see me.

I have 12 convicts (1/2 small, 1/2 large), large parrot, large gourami, large angel and medium bristle nose catfish.

Sounds like the amount you're feeding is fine. Fish will beg for food and pretend they are starving but don't let this cause you to overfeed.

I'm not an expert, but I think the convicts and angel should be fed more often.

Laser said:
I'm not an expert, but I think the convicts and angel should be fed more often.

Yeah I think so too since the angel only eats what is floating so he gets only a couple of sprinkles that fall from the surface.

How do u tell if they are overfed?

Feeding Your Fish

I have small pellets ( not sure of brand since I just recently acquired these fish from a previous owner. I'm new to this too). I've been giving them a small sprinkling of less than a 1/4 of a teaspoon. They seem to eat it all and if there are left overs they find it. I feed them ever 2nd day. But each time I come up to the glass they get excited and hang around to see me.

I have 12 convicts (1/2 small, 1/2 large), large parrot, large gourami, large angel and medium bristle nose catfish.

Hello ana...

Aquarium fish have very small stomachs, about the size of one of their eyes. So, you don't need to feed very much.

Frozen foods are the healthiest, because they have no processed ingredients. If you'll feed your fish a combination of frozen bloodworms, brine and mysis shrimp and frozen plankton twice per week, that will be plenty.

Aquarium fish can go a couple of weeks without food and in their natural living areas, they're lucky to find food once a week. So, only feed a little, just what will be eaten in a minute or two. If you follow this routine your fish will be constantly moving around the tank to find the leftovers. They'll get their exercise and your tank will be much cleaner.

Just a couple of thoughts.

B

Hello ana...

Aquarium fish have very small stomachs, about the size of one of their eyes. So, you don't need to feed very much.

Frozen foods are the healthiest, because they have no processed ingredients. If you'll feed your fish a combination of frozen bloodworms, brine and mysis shrimp and frozen plankton twice per week, that will be plenty.

Aquarium fish can go a couple of weeks without food and in their natural living areas, they're lucky to find food once a week. So, only feed a little, just what will be eaten in a minute or two. If you follow this routine your fish will be constantly moving around the tank to find the leftovers. They'll get their exercise and your tank will be much cleaner.

Just a couple of thoughts.

B

+5 to this! Really good advice.

Back
Top Bottom