How much gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know I need to remove the undergravel in my seond tank to control the nitrates but what about my 1st one that has a HOB? I have about 2 inches of gravel in there now and I was wondering if that is just too much? The nitrates are only 40 but I know that is still high and I think the amount of gravel is aiding this level. I was also curious why the filter floss in my hob is still the same color it was? I would think it would have some color from the bacteria after 4 months or more?

The tank has plants but I am growing the java moss in my moss keepers so they don't need to be planted in the substrate. My java fern will grow on the moss keepers or on my decorations.

Two inches of gravel is not too much. Just increase the amount of your gravel vacs and water changes and your nitrate levels should be just fine.

How often do you change water now and what percentage of the water do you change?

once a week, 2/5 to 1/2 at a time. I suction all the gravle or as much as I can every time I change the water. I just don't think my HOB is running right as far as the filtration and the biological needs of the tank. I guess I will just have to buy 2 aquaclear 20's because this aquaview really sucks.

Sounds like something is wrong. Could be the filter, only other thing I can think of is overfeeding. Unless your tap water has nitrates.

No nitrates in the tap water. I think it is the HOB. Of course I was warned that the aquaview sucks but is all I had at the time. Is time to upgrade to the aquaclear for something that should actually work.

Back
Top Bottom