How much is too much filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrfixit246

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello and thank you for a wonder library of knowledge on fish.

This is my first post about a problem so bear with me please.

A quick history and then the question. About 2 years ago my daughter won a goldfish at a carnival. She bought it a bowl and took care of it. Well she was about to go away for 18 months so I inherited the goldfish. After reading about goldfish I immediately bought a larger tank (30Gal) and another fish for company. As goldfish do they grew like crazy and now 18 months later I have them in a 75 gal tank with some white clouds and neon tetras. Everyone seems happy after the first week of skittish behavior they have settle in nicely.

Now the question, I bought this tank used and it has 2 magnum 350 filters(1 carbon 1 Polishing) and a penguin 350 biowheel and under gravel filter with bubblers. Is this too much water flow and currents in the tank? The fish don't seem bothered by it and the tetras and white clouds seem to play in the currents at times. Compared to the previous tank it seems like a lot.

Thank You
MrFixit

Hi.
The title says 'Is this too much filtration' but your text asks if it's too much water flow.
In theory you can't really have too much filtration. The bacteria over the whole system will only increase to match the bio load from your fish. You can however have too little of course. I like to over filter as each filter doesn't clog so fast and cleaning out one filter doesn't affect the tank as the others are not disturbed. I use two canister filters,where one would do, and clean them on rotation. 'Belt and Braces'.
Water flow is different. Some species, especially large flat bodied fish like angels and discus can struggle but smaller faster fish love it. If your fish are swimming and 'playing' in the water flow then I don't see a problem. Mine swim against the current and then turn and free swim fast along the tank. I can't imagine them doing this if they didn't want to as there are plenty of less turbulent areas in the tank.
Goldfish are particularly heavy waste producers and if your system is working then leave it be.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Looks fine though be careful with under gravel filters, I've read experiences where people had waste collect under them.

Caleb

Yes ScotJudd I should have clarified flow vs filtration. Thanks for the reply. The fact that Gold fish are poop machines is the reason I wanted the filtration I have now. The fish don't seem bothered by it When they want to relax they seem to find a slow eddy and hang out there.

@CoolGuy, I thought of that too My set up lets me see bottom of the tank from inside the cabinet. I have already looked in there to make sure they are working. There is a little build but nothing more than what I would expect.

Thanks for your answers

MrFixit

Back in the day when UG filters ruled, one way to prevent mulm buildup was to place a stainless steel washer down the uplift tube. With an open bottom cabinet design, one can then take an algae magnet and move the washer around and this would dislodge the detritus. Of course, this worked best if the UG filter was hooked up to a canister. Otherwise plumes of waste would rain down on the tank. Just a suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No such thing as too much filtration except when your pump is way to big for your tank and it is heating up your water.

Just a thought.. Golf fish with neon tetras? They don't live in the same temperatures...

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom