How much longer til I move my fry to the community?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a single platy fry he's been in a separate tank for about a little over 2 weeks and he's a bit over 1 cm in length

BlaseMrNiceguy said:
I would give it about 4-6 weeks

That long?! There aren't any cichlids or anything that can get him though. But come to think of it I see a lot of YouTube videos where breeders still seperate their fry even when they are almost adults

Do you know why? I'm stumped

They won't reach sexual maturity for 4-6 weeks generally so basically you wouldn't want to add says 6 males to a tank that has 1-3 m-f ratio that could cause a big problem with aggression.

BlaseMrNiceguy said:
They won't reach sexual maturity for 4-6 weeks generally so basically you wouldn't want to add says 6 males to a tank that has 1-3 m-f ratio that could cause a big problem with aggression.

Ooooh. That's logical.

Besides the se of my fry is undetermined right now and I might wanna keep it like that until its an adult

We keep ours separate until they're too big to fit in anyone's mouth anymore. We actually had one that we thought was too big to eat. Turns out one fish tried to eat him and the fry got stuck. Now we wait until they're about an inch long or for sure too big to fit in a mouth (even if someone tries).

Tommyboy13 said:
We keep ours separate until they're too big to fit in anyone's mouth anymore. We actually had one that we thought was too big to eat. Turns out one fish tried to eat him and the fry got stuck. Now we wait until they're about an inch long or for sure too big to fit in a mouth (even if someone tries).

That's about the time I assumed too. That is very true. My fry is too big for a platy to eat down, but still not big enough that the adults won't necessarily TRY to (which evidently will end badly)

Back
Top Bottom