How much media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bradleyheathhays

Aquarium Advice Regular
Feeling like I should have been able to find this listed somewhere in the lit but so far I haven't. I've got two new Eheim 2078s which I think are also referred to as 700s and I'm trying to determine how much of the Mech and Substrat Eheim media I need to get for them. The manuals show the bottom tray to be filled with Mech and the other three to be filled with Substrat. Found a deal for 5 liters of mech for 80 bucks which seems like a good deal when compared to the by the liter price, and if I'll eventually use it then seems worth it. But if 5 liters is way too much then I'd rather save the money.

Any advice?

Feeling like I should have been able to find this listed somewhere in the lit but so far I haven't. I've got two new Eheim 2078s which I think are also referred to as 700s and I'm trying to determine how much of the Mech and Substrat Eheim media I need to get for them. The manuals show the bottom tray to be filled with Mech and the other three to be filled with Substrat. Found a deal for 5 liters of mech for 80 bucks which seems like a good deal when compared to the by the liter price, and if I'll eventually use it then seems worth it. But if 5 liters is way too much then I'd rather save the money.

Any advice?
Hey, nice filters. This is how i would set them up, starting from the bottom up...
1. Course Filter Pad(Traps large particles)
2. Full tray of Seachem Matrix(Bio-Media)
3. Full tray of Seachem Matrix(Bio-Media)
4. Full tray of Polyfill/Filterfloss(Polishes)

With the third tray of Polyfill/Filterfloss, i use cheap bed pillows. They are only a couple of Euro's but if you live in the US, i believe the polyfill is widely available from Craft/Hobby stores, very cheap. This stuff will last a very long time, a couple of years!!. I don't have your model of filter but most canisters can be set-up this way... In your case i would fill the last tray(top) with the floss and put the fine/polishing pads on top of the floss. This will stop any loose floss from entering the motor and clogging the impeller.. I would put a 100g bag of Seachem Purigen on top of the top pads, so it's the last media that water passes through...
With this set-up, you will have sparkling crystal clear water.... Ian

Back
Top Bottom