how much/often should i feed my fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

current516

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm sure this question has been asked many times, but it seems like everyone tells me something different.

I think I've been overfeeding my fish. Causing cloudy water, but I'm not positive. So, considering the fish I have, how much/often do you think I should feed them?

I recommend 2 smaller feedings per day. And by smaller I mean no more than they can eat in a minute or two at the most! When in doubt feed less and if need be feed a tad more once all the food is consumed.

A couple of often-overlooked facts to keep in mind:

1. Fish, being cold-blooded animals, do not need to eat as much or as often as our warm-blooded pets like dogs, cats, etc.

2. A fish's stomach is, on average, about the size of its eye.

That doesn't directly answer your question, but should help you in judging quantity.

I feed once a day, and make sure the flakes/other food is small enough to fit in the mouths. Also I make sure all the food is eaten, in a few minutes.

Everybody feeds them differently. You can feed them at least once a day but no more than three times a day. If you are feeding them three times a day and having problems with excess food, try reducing to twice a day. If you still have problems with excess, try feeding them less.

You're supposed to feed the fish what they can eat within five minutes. Most containers will pretty much tell you that. If it takes them any longer than five minutes, then it will most likely be wasted. Some fish, like livebearers, may clean it up, but I heard that when they overeat, they don't process the excess food, so it also becomes wasted as well.

5 minutes has always seemed like an eternity to me. My mbunas attack their food so voraciously that they eat a LOT within about 60 seconds...I just can't bring myself to let them go any longer. I usually feed them twice a day for 1 minute...maybe with a veggie treat every few days.

Back
Top Bottom