Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-01-2004, 07:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

How much rock can I add to my 30 gallon fw tank

setting up my second tank i have a 30 gallon tank and found some really good rock lying around my yard etc. Rock has been cleaned and acid tested.

How much can i add. How much will my tank hold?

and if im going to have rock should i use more gravel on the botton to support the rock better. right now i have about 30lbs of gravel on the bottom.

any comments would be great.

Basiclly how much can my 30 gallon glass tank support?

thanks
jeff

Old 05-01-2004, 07:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The only advice I can offer is to yes, Put some gravel or sand down before you placed the stones in. You don't want sharp edges excerting force down on the glass.

Other than that, Can you be absolutely Possitive the stone has not been exposed to anything like chemical fertilizers or pesticides? I'd be concerned with htem leeching into the water..

Old 05-01-2004, 07:55 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

What kind of fish are you keeping? I put in some larger river stones and my brichardi had them all toppled over in under a week
Busy, busy....

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 09:39 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

ITs going to be a community tank and the rocks will be secured. i was just wondering how much weight my glass tank can hold with the gravel rocks and water.

jeff
Old 05-02-2004, 12:52 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I have a 20 gal and so far there is 15lbs of rocks in there, but I plan on getting more and figure it will be closer to 30-40 lbs by the time I am done. In the past, there were cichlids in the 29 gal with slabs of basalt and Texas Holey Rock.
I wouldn't worry about the glass bottom. As long as the tank is made properly and you are not dropping the rock in and letting it smash the bottom, any rock you add will be fine. I will add that the tank needs to be on a stand intended to hold aquariums to provide the best support.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 01:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

It is on the stand that came with the tank i think im adding about 20 lbs worth i just have to finish cleaning them today. i post photos when done thanks for the great help

jeff
Old 05-02-2004, 02:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
I put nearly 50lbs in my 30 gal tank, I used eggcrate on the bottom to help evenly distribute the weight. Here's the tank w/eggcrate:

The final result is in my gallery.
Old 05-02-2004, 03:28 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

you should definately boil the rocks before u even think of putting them in the tank!!!!

Tags
30 gallon, rock, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com