How much rock can I add to my 30 gallon fw tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffs10

Aquarium Advice Activist
setting up my second tank i have a 30 gallon tank and found some really good rock lying around my yard etc. Rock has been cleaned and acid tested.

How much can i add. How much will my tank hold?

and if im going to have rock should i use more gravel on the botton to support the rock better. right now i have about 30lbs of gravel on the bottom.

any comments would be great.

Basiclly how much can my 30 gallon glass tank support?

thanks
jeff

The only advice I can offer is to yes, Put some gravel or sand down before you placed the stones in. You don't want sharp edges excerting force down on the glass.

Other than that, Can you be absolutely Possitive the stone has not been exposed to anything like chemical fertilizers or pesticides? I'd be concerned with htem leeching into the water..

What kind of fish are you keeping? I put in some larger river stones and my brichardi had them all toppled over in under a week :twisted:
Busy, busy....

ITs going to be a community tank and the rocks will be secured. i was just wondering how much weight my glass tank can hold with the gravel rocks and water.

jeff

I have a 20 gal and so far there is 15lbs of rocks in there, but I plan on getting more and figure it will be closer to 30-40 lbs by the time I am done. In the past, there were cichlids in the 29 gal with slabs of basalt and Texas Holey Rock.
I wouldn't worry about the glass bottom. As long as the tank is made properly and you are not dropping the rock in and letting it smash the bottom, any rock you add will be fine. I will add that the tank needs to be on a stand intended to hold aquariums to provide the best support.

It is on the stand that came with the tank i think im adding about 20 lbs worth i just have to finish cleaning them today. i post photos when done thanks for the great help

jeff

I put nearly 50lbs in my 30 gal tank, I used eggcrate on the bottom to help evenly distribute the weight. Here's the tank w/eggcrate:

P8140165.JPG

The final result is in my gallery.

Back
Top Bottom