How much sand do I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EvanWells

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey so I have a standard 29g tank. How much sand should I buy? I dont want to over buy or under buy. Thanks in advance!

What kind of sand are you buying? How deep do you want the substrate?

Live sand. Im open to suggestions though, I am new to sand. And I want the average depth, 2 inches or so.

You dont need "live sand" at all. If you want a particular brand of sand, get it because you like the color or consistency. Dont get it because its live.

There are some options out there though.

Pool filter sand is a nice brown color. It comes in 50lb bags for about $8, i get mine from menards. A single bag would be enoigh for you.

Black diamond blasting sand is a popular black sand. It can be bought for around $10 for 50lbs at Tractor Supply co. Again youd only need 1 bag. Just be sure to wash it very well.

Live sand. Im open to suggestions though, I am new to sand. And I want the average depth, 2 inches or so.

We don't use Live Sand in Freshwater Set ups. That's a SW thing.

For planted tanks there are several sand options.
6a48abe0823892404b672c3797b12bac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We don't use Live Sand in Freshwater Set ups. That's a SW thing.

For planted tanks there are several sand options.
6a48abe0823892404b672c3797b12bac.jpg

Theres a number of freshwater live sands. I believe carib sea markets theirs as live as well as eco complete. Honestly though, its just a gimmick though. Not necessary at all.

Theres a number of freshwater live sands. I believe carib sea markets theirs as live as well as eco complete. Honestly though, its just a gimmick though. Not necessary at all.

CaribSea sells "Instant Aquarium" line of FW sands with live bacteria.

The ones labeled Live Sand like Arag-Alive are intended for SW

Eco-Complete by CaribSea is labeled Planted Aquarium Substrate with Live Bacteria.

I sold this stuff for 5 years. The only bags that say Live Sand are SW.

Others say Sand with Bacteria for fast cycle.

But details aside....yes I agree with Mebbid....it's not necessary.

Get a suitable substrate for your application. African tank, planted tank, brackish tank. If you want live Bacteria, seed your filter or buy a bottle of live bacteria.

For a planted tank, add plants during cycle. They carry can BB and help cycle the tank and keep it stable much faster.

Eco-Complete by CaribSea is labeled Planted Aquarium Substrate with Live Bacteria.

Get a suitable substrate for your application. African tank, planted tank, brackish tank. If you want live Bacteria, seed your filter or buy a bottle of live bacteria.

For a planted tank, add plants during cycle. They carry can BB and help cycle the tank and keep it stable much faster.

So would The eco-complete substrate be good for me? For a planted tank.

Ahhh i gotcha. I understand now.

Back
Top Bottom