How much subtrate do I need (in pounds)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhawk__

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 26 gal bf and wanted to know how many pounds of substrate ill need? Since my 10 gal took 20 lbs, I figured I would need around 40 lbs.

I just want to make sure before I purchase it. I'm thinking of Doing a white sand and natural colored gravel combo?

I have a 26 gal bf and wanted to know how many pounds of substrate ill need? Since my 10 gal took 20 lbs, I figured I would need around 40 lbs.

I just want to make sure before I purchase it. I'm thinking of Doing a white sand and natural colored gravel combo?

It really comes down to preference also IMO. I have a 75 gallon and used 120 pounds of sand. I have a 27 gallon cube and used 40 pounds of planted substrate. My bio cube 29 took 30 pounds of live sand. So... I guess what I'm saying is, do you want a deep sand bed or just enough to cover the bottom?

At least one inch, I usually put 2''-3''. Any more is a lot. Not sure in pounds though.

It really comes down to preference also IMO. I have a 75 gallon and used 120 pounds of sand. I have a 27 gallon cube and used 40 pounds of planted substrate. My bio cube 29 took 30 pounds of live sand. So... I guess what I'm saying is, do you want a deep sand bed or just enough to cover the bottom?

It needs to be deep enough to for live plants, how many inches would you recommend for them?

at least 1 1/2 inches for gravel and 2 inches of sand for live plants IMO, 2 pounds per gallon is usually a safe bet, you will probably end up with some left over, but thats better then not enough!

I just started my first planted tank. I'd say 2" and your good.

Here's my tank. As you can see I made the right side a lot higher. And pretty much have 2" plus the rest of the way.

img_2433842_0_97ddc5c66d0b5bc09f2d5b75ea75d985.jpg

at least 1 1/2 inches for gravel and 2 inches of sand for live plants IMO, 2 pounds per gallon is usually a safe bet, you will probably end up with some left over, but thats better then not enough!

Alright thanks! I think I'm just gonna get 2 20 pound bags, 1 of gravel and one of sand. :)

I just started my first planted tank. I'd say 2" and your good.

Here's my tank. As you can see I made the right side a lot higher. And pretty much have 2" plus the rest of the way.

Thanks! Ill aim for that.

Looks great! What size tank is it and what plants are you wanting?

Btw I've never had luck with slopes lol. They alway fall down eventually and turn out flat
-_- :ROFLMAO: :banghead:

Thanks! Ill aim for that.

Looks great! What size tank is it and what plants are you wanting?

27 gallon cube 20x18x20... Not sure on plants yet. I have all the ferts from GLA also have metricide 14

Btw I've never had luck with slopes lol. They alway fall down eventually and turn out flat
-_- :ROFLMAO: :banghead:

Slopes are fun and easy. Just get yourself some substrate supports. I used disposable cutting mats sold at bed bath and beyond. Like 4 bucks. Check out my planted thread it shows how I used them. I cut them into pieces and made a barrier or retaining wall so the substrate wouldn't collapse.

Oh and thanks!! :)

27 gallon cube 20x18x20... Not sure on plants yet. I have all the ferts from GLA also have metricide 14

Slopes are fun and easy. Just get yourself some substrate supports. I used disposable cutting mats sold at bed bath and beyond. Like 4 bucks. Check out my planted thread it shows how I used them. I cut them into pieces and made a barrier or retaining wall so the substrate wouldn't collapse.

Oh and thanks!! :)

Our tanks are almost the same size lol. Yours is 1 gallon bigger lol

I have it separated with plastic and I've been very careful to not mix it up. So far so good :)

Back
Top Bottom