How much water do you change per week?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NickyB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,
I have a 30 gallon tank with 2 filters, a canister and a hanging one. I have live plants and I don't overfed. I change 40% of the water every 2 weeks because the water parameters are usually OK e.g. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, rarely more than 10ppm nitrates. (0 nitrates when I complete a water change) I felt like I had it under control but now I'm not sure. Even though my numbers are good, should I be doing weekly water changes?

What percentage of water do you change weekly?

Thanks guys:fish2:

Your good with what your doing. Keep it up. Don't let your nitrates bottom out or you will start to have algae.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The common trend around here is 50% weekly.. i believe this to be a cautionary starting point for most.. once you get a feel for your tank and your water, like being able to tell what's up just by the smell of the tank and how your fish are staged around the tank.. then do what you think/know is right for the tank.. and like Phillip said nitrates should ultimately be your guide in wc's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ive got two 10 gallons, two 20 gallons and a 3 gallon. I change out about 50% from each every week. I know the primary reason is to remove the nitrates that are building up, but its my understanding that there are also other toxins that we don't test for that can build up and trace elements and minerals that are being used up and need to be replaced. It may be overkill, but its really easy so I dont mind.
It also helps that I live in an apartment and the water bill is part of my rent... so it only costs me the Prime I use.

Water Changes

Hi all,
I have a 30 gallon tank with 2 filters, a canister and a hanging one. I have live plants and I don't overfed. I change 40% of the water every 2 weeks because the water parameters are usually OK e.g. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, rarely more than 10ppm nitrates. (0 nitrates when I complete a water change) I felt like I had it under control but now I'm not sure. Even though my numbers are good, should I be doing weekly water changes?

What percentage of water do you change weekly?

Thanks guys:fish2:

Hello Nick...

Even though the water looks clear and the tank chemistry tests out within normal limits, doesn't mean the water is pure. Water that sits in the tank loses minerals the fish and plants depend on for good health. A 30 gallon tank should have half the water changed weekly. Here's why: By removing and replacing large amounts of tank water, you remove the bulk of the dissolved wastes from the fish and plants. What's left is used by plants for food and the rest is diluted in all the new water. The more new water the lower the nitrogen and the better for the fish. The tank is an unflushed toilet, that the fish live in. By removing half the water every week, there's no time for wastes to build to a toxic point before they're removed. The water chemistry is always safe.

I keep large, heavily planted tanks and change roughly 60 percent of the water every 2 weeks. Larger tanks, with much more water can go a bit longer between changes than smaller tanks, because there's more water to dilute the wastes.

The more water you change and the more often you change it, the healthier the fish and plants.

B

Back
Top Bottom