How often change light bulbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lance M.

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just wondering how often to change the light bulbs? I just replaced them after about 8 months of use and you can very easily see the difference in brightness.

What type of bulbs are you replacing? PC, VHO, NO or MH?

I go about 9 months on my PC but a lot of people suggest 6 months.

Normal output flourescents - 9 to 12 months with an average 10-12 hours a day of use.
Over driven fluorescents, about every 6 months.
VHO - same as normal fluoro's
Power compacts - use them until they burn out (seriously...you need not replace these until they stop working)

Power compacts - use them until they burn out (seriously...you need not replace these until they stop working)

Would you say this only applies to FW tanks and not SW?

The light hood I have is for reg. light bulbs, but I got these flourescent light bulbs to fit in the sockets. It give more light my tank and has full spectrum lighting.

grimlock3000 said:

Would you say this only applies to FW tanks and not SW?

I replace my SW PCs yearly and my FW PCs yearly, I notice a growth increase in my FW when I do.

grimlock,

Yes, only for FW. corals and other marine life is MUCH more affected by the loss in spectrum that any bulb goes through over the course of a year, so SW bulbs should be replaced annually (assuming its not a FO setup).

Bearfan,

I'm sure you do see an increase in growth...PC bulbs do lose some intensity and spectrum, just a slower rate than NO bulbs. I just know that a lot of plant keepers run their bulbs for 2 years until they burn out, and they still grow great looking plants, including stuff like glosso.
I figure I'm saving $80 by not buying new bulbs this year, so it's worth experimenting with 12+ month old bulbs.

For once, something in this hobby isn't costing me an arm and a leg to try out!

Back
Top Bottom