how often do people change filters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abomb

Aquarium Advice Regular
i know the filter says once a month replace it. Do most people here abide by this? or do you use it more and if so how long do u keep a filter pad?

I have been using my AquaClear filter sponges for over 5 months now, I have two sponges in each filter with some filter floss between them, and carbon on top. I rinse off the sponges in used tank water to clean them, and replace the floss with new floss every couple weeks. This allows me to save a stack of money on the sponges, and the floss is dirt cheap to replace so it is not an issue. When the sponges do not return to thie original shape after being squeezed or start falling apart, it is time for replacing. I should be able to get just under a year of use from the sponges.

Most filter media can be rinsed in tank water to get the waste off them and placed back in the filter. Not only does this save money, but you keep the good bacteria on the filter material to keep the tank water healthy. Replacing filter media monthly is a good way to keep sending money to the filter companies when you could be using it for other things :)

Which ever guy at the AquaClear company established the one month suggested time for filters should be given a medal. I mean I know I ton of people that foolishly abide by this rule. It is time to get a new foam filter once it starts falling apart, therefor it should last easily half a year to a year. I've also read that charcole filters loss their effectiveness after 72 hours so keeping it in longer won't really do much.

What about a HOB like an Emperor 280. I know you could rinse it out but won't the carbon in it eventually need replacing?

I have an Filstar XP1 filter. I replace the fine micron filter once a month, the carbon pack every 3 months, and have yet to replace the coarse foam pads (2). I'll probably replace them every 6 months. It's probably overdoing it, but I'm also the type who changes the oil (in my car) 5,000 miles on the dot. The micron filter is always pretty dirty after a month, and I don't know how to tell when carbon is no longer working.

Just an FYI, filter pads are MUCH cheaper online than in a lfs. I ordered them twice from drsfostersmith.com, and got good prices and speedy delivery.

I have one of those over the side style biowheel filters with two filter inserts. I never change the bio wheels. I have yet to change out the filter inserts and I've had three set-ups for over two years. When I get a new tank I throw the old filter insert in the new fitler and the new insert in the old filter. Every 3-4 months I wash one of the two filters. As long as there is not a lot of rotting vegatble matter, I don't really see the need to change the filter inserts at all. Mind you, the charcoal in the firlter inserts wont be that effective, but the bio-filtration culture should take care of fish waste.

I just changed the filter in my 10gal Male betta tank for the first [and only time] in six months.

My tetra tank has not had the filter changed in over a year.

my 29gal hasn't had the filter changed since I put the Penguin 170 on it somewhere around september.

Never changed the filter in my baby tank since its been set up..

I'm sure you catch my drift by now.

What about a HOB like an Emperor 280. I know you could rinse it out but won't the carbon in it eventually need replacing?

I have an Emperor 280 and 400. I normally rinse out the sponge media in water. If I notice the water bypassing the sponge and just going around it, then it's time to replace it. The carbon in the sponge doesn't matter. With it not being replaced, it will slowly lose it's effectiveness, but will gain as an added bed for bacteria to grow on. Besides, you have the media trays you can put carbon in there.

I have a penguin mini for my 10 gal. It's been up and running for about a year or so and I have only changed the filter cartridge once. And that's only because I moved.

Granted, I only use it as a QT tank now, but I keep it cycled by throwing some bloodworms or spirulina flakes in every now and then.

I just rinse out the cartridge gently, in tank water when it starts looking clogged. I only use carbon on two occasions; when extracting meds and after large "redecorating" projects where a lot of crap has been stirred up.

shawmutt said:
the type who changes the oil (in my car) 5,000 miles on the dot.

woah.... 5k huh!?! are you using synthetic?? If not you may just want to decrease that mileage by 2000 miles... 3000 miles or three months... whichever first... after about 3 months the viscosity (SP??? sorry) breaks down, and you may as well be running water in your engine, absoluty NO protection, and steer clear of that slick 50 gunk... it just traps dirt and metal particles and hold them in in your engine...
I work in an automotive shop and I feel the same way about cars that some people here do about fish. :D
If your using Syn... please kick me
Getting off my :soap:

woah.... 5k huh!?! are you using synthetic?? If not you may just want to decrease that mileage by 2000 miles... 3000 miles or three months... whichever first... after about 3 months the viscosity (SP??? sorry) breaks down, and you may as well be running water in your engine, absoluty NO protection, and steer clear of that slick 50 gunk... it just traps dirt and metal particles and hold them in in your engine...
I work in an automotive shop and I feel the same way about cars that some people here do about fish.
If your using Syn... please kick me

You sound like a Jiffy Lube advertisement 8)

after about 3 months the viscosity (SP??? sorry) breaks down
viscosity doesn't actually breakdown. it's just a measurement of how long x amount of fluid (or semi-fluid) takes to flow (usually just holding it up in the air and letting it drip down) at a given temperature. I can't remember what temperature is usually used (hydraulics class was a long time ago). When the oil gets dirty (from normal use), it's viscosity parameters change.

I recently read an article where they were saying the 3000 miles was a myth; that it depended on vehicle usage. A guy from GM said that cars could go up to 10,000 miles between changes depending on how and where you drive your car.

http://www.nbc4columbus.com/money/2964700/detail.html

I'm sure everybody has their own opinion on this, but it makes sense to me. BTW, I use synthetics...

I have changed the oil in my own car @ 5 or 6K an it absolutly looks nothing like what went in. Driving style does matter, if you gun the engine all day, your gonna have issues, but if you do nothing but baby it your gonna get exhaust carbon build-up... Its like not doing a water change for two months! yikes!! 8O Syn. works great as long a you check it...
Some one take this soap box away from me!!! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom