How often do you change out the AC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I was just wondering how often yo guys change out the AC? Also, do you use the already bagged AC, or do you fill bags yourself? TIA

most members only use AC to remove medication from the water.. it generaly only will absorb for a week, 2 weeks max. You will likely have slightly more clear water easier when using it but if you have proper chemistry levels in your tank you should have near AC filtered clarity without it..
you can fill your own bags or other containment for the AC yourself.. its usually cheaper.. HTH

I use it in three of my tanks because I have no alternative. Ceramic rings won't fit in the itty bitty cartridges. I change mine out every few months. And sometimes I will rinse them really good in tap water (a big no-no if the cartridge is the only form of filtration but all of my filters have a sponge also) to get all of the gunky stuff off instead of just replacing them. Some filters you need to use the pre-packaged cartridges, in some there is enough room to fill a mesh bag and put it in there (but if you had that option, I'd just put in ceramic rings), and others have baskets that you fill with carbon (I would also just put in ceramic rings).

AC lasts about 7-10 days before it's spent and should be replaced.

I rarely run AC in any of my planted or SW tanks.

I remove all AC from my filters, even before it's "expired". As mentioned above, I only use it to pull meds from a tank.

Me as well, I only use it to remove meds, I use filter floss on all my tanks otherwise. Bio balls in the cannister filters.

Back
Top Bottom