Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-27-2003, 10:53 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

How often do you change/rinse your filter media?

I've never had a schedule as to how often I should change/rinse my media. Just wondering what everybody else does. The LFS probably told me months ago, but I am a forgetful one...

Old 10-27-2003, 11:07 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

oops, posted this before I read Electrobe's post about frequency in cleaning filters. Sorry!

Old 10-27-2003, 11:56 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'll answer anyway. I have an emperor running 4 filter cartridges. I clean 2 each week. Pull them out spray them with high pressure hose nozzle. Soak in used aquarium water and dechlorinator a few seconds and pop em back in. I reuse my cartridges for a very long time! and they work fine.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I rinse them out once per week as I clean the tank, using old tank water. I don't have cartridges, I just stuff filter wool into my AC minis.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:32 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottw68TN
I'll answer anyway. I have an emperor running 4 filter cartridges. I clean 2 each week. Pull them out spray them with high pressure hose nozzle. Soak in used aquarium water and dechlorinator a few seconds and pop em back in. I reuse my cartridges for a very long time! and they work fine.
How do you use 4 filters in your 400? Are you removing the "gray boxes" and putting a second filter there? If so why? I mean does it help? I thought about doing this but haven't yet (didn't want to burn the pump).
Old 10-28-2003, 08:20 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes I do that. the pump is not restricted since the filters are flow through the pump is not pulling it through. If its too much the filter overflow into the tank which it never does. I also cut a hole in the plastic side of the cartridge and dump the carbon out. so theres little restriction in flow. I never use the boxes but keep them handy. 1 for carbon and one for ammo chips.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe I'm a tight-***... Well, I am. But I don't see a reason to change the filter very often unless it's falling apart. The one I have now has been cleaned many times, but it's been with me probably 6 months.

I love the fishes cause they're so delicious.
Sati is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
change, filter, filter media, media

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com