How often do you change/rinse your filter media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PlatyLady

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've never had a schedule as to how often I should change/rinse my media. Just wondering what everybody else does. The LFS probably told me months ago, but I am a forgetful one...

I'll answer anyway. I have an emperor running 4 filter cartridges. I clean 2 each week. Pull them out spray them with high pressure hose nozzle. Soak in used aquarium water and dechlorinator a few seconds and pop em back in. I reuse my cartridges for a very long time! and they work fine.

I rinse them out once per week as I clean the tank, using old tank water. I don't have cartridges, I just stuff filter wool into my AC minis.

Scottw68TN said:
I'll answer anyway. I have an emperor running 4 filter cartridges. I clean 2 each week. Pull them out spray them with high pressure hose nozzle. Soak in used aquarium water and dechlorinator a few seconds and pop em back in. I reuse my cartridges for a very long time! and they work fine.

How do you use 4 filters in your 400? Are you removing the "gray boxes" and putting a second filter there? If so why? I mean does it help? I thought about doing this but haven't yet (didn't want to burn the pump).

Yes I do that. the pump is not restricted since the filters are flow through the pump is not pulling it through. If its too much the filter overflow into the tank which it never does. I also cut a hole in the plastic side of the cartridge and dump the carbon out. so theres little restriction in flow. I never use the boxes but keep them handy. 1 for carbon and one for ammo chips.

Maybe I'm a tight-ass... Well, I am. But I don't see a reason to change the filter very often unless it's falling apart. The one I have now has been cleaned many times, but it's been with me probably 6 months.

Back
Top Bottom