How often do you change your ceramic media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eco23

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've got a Fluval 405 about to be ordered. My previous understanding was that ceramic media never had to be replaced as long as it was cleaned of debris. How often, if at all, do you change yours?

Also, would you suggest bio-max, bio-balls, or some other type of ceramic media for a canister filter?

Until it falls apart, which I don't think ceramic does very quickly (as in decades probably). My 305 and 405 still have the original sponges and rings from when I bought them about 2 years ago. I just run the fluval rings (bio-max?) in mine, along with my xp. My eheim has the eheim branded stuff that came with it. Either way, I only run rings and sponges, nothing else.

mfdrookie516 said:
Until it falls apart, which I don't think ceramic does very quickly (as in decades probably). My 305 and 405 still have the original sponges and rings from when I bought them about 2 years ago. I just run the fluval rings (bio-max?) in mine, along with my xp. My eheim has the eheim branded stuff that came with it. Either way, I only run rings and sponges, nothing else.

Thanks, that's what I figured. I slightly raised an eyebrow when I saw it recommended to be replaced every 3 months. I figured it was just another sales tactic of killing a few fish to make a few $'s, but I wanted to make sure it wouldn't start degrading and leech anything harmful if it was left in too long.

mfdrookie516 said:
Nope, just be dilligent in cleaning. I clean mine every other week. It's a simple process you'll get down pretty quick.

Thanks, just what I wanted to hear from the man I wanted to hear it from.

I've got a Fluval 405 about to be ordered. My previous understanding was that ceramic media never had to be replaced as long as it was cleaned of debris. How often, if at all, do you change yours?

Also, would you suggest bio-max, bio-balls, or some other type of ceramic media for a canister filter?

Never replace it, just rinse it in used tank water after a PWC when it gets clogged with detritus. Unless it's damaged, ceramic will not fall apart (exception: ceramic tiles on space shuttle :)).

Bio-max rings are what you get with the Fluval can, I prefer Eheim Substrat Pro at the moment (experimental) and will most likely switch all/part of my filtration systems over to it eventually.

In my aqua clear 50 I have 3 pieces.... 1 foam, 1 carbon (which I have replaced with a polyfiber floss), and then a bag of hard creamish colored pellets.. if i remember right they said it was to absorb amonia?? anyways is this the "ceramic" your speaking of?? or something totally different

Tasha said:
In my aqua clear 50 I have 3 pieces.... 1 foam, 1 carbon (which I have replaced with a polyfiber floss), and then a bag of hard creamish colored pellets.. if i remember right they said it was to absorb amonia?? anyways is this the "ceramic" your speaking of?? or something totally different

The cream colored pellets may be the ceramics, but I know Fluval makes a separate ammonia absorbing media (zeo-carb? zeo-lite?) I would personally be against using it because it would compete with the biofilter for the ammonia potentially causing you to have a weaker than normal biofilter.

Tasha said:
Thanks Eco!!

Careful taking it out though. If it did cause a weaker biofilter, it may cause a mini cycle if you take it all out at once. I'd remove it slowly and constantly monitor the ammo level to make sure it doesn't spike. I could be wrong, but in theory it seems like what would happen.

In my Fluval 205, I have the ceramic rings, 4 sponges and I use filter floss. Besides doing PWC's at least once per week, I also rinse the filter media every 6 to 8 weeks, using the tank water. Following this regimen, my tank water is crystal clear and I've had few fish problems. I expect I would need to change the floss and sponges when they've reached a point of breaking down. But I wouldn't do both of these together, as that would disturb the balance of the tank. Luanne

Back
Top Bottom