How often do you clean a blackwater aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicki Gaga

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've added bogwood and almond leaves into my 24 gallons tank, hoping that the water would go brown. I clean the tank once a week and change 15% of the water each time. So why isn't the water turning brown yet. It's been a few months now. I don't have carbon in the filter either.

Do you think it's best if I clean 10% once every 2 weeks?
And then when I think my fish will breed, I'll change 50%?

Quite low...I think. Well that's what the pet store staff said.

If you're even considering breeding I would highly recommend getting an API master test kit. They are very affordable and last a long long time. In 3 years I haven't even gone through 2 of them.

Pet Supplies : Aquarium Test Kits : API Freshwater Master Test Kit : Amazon.com

Once you get that do water changes to keep your nitrate around 20ppm or lower. Preferrably around 10ppm or lower with fry. Relying on a pet store to do it generally doesn't end well.

So if you have a 40ppm nitrate then do a 50% water change. If it's 80ppm then do 2 50% water changes.

If you're even considering breeding I would highly recommend getting an API master test kit. They are very affordable and last a long long time. In 3 years I haven't even gone through 2 of them.

Pet Supplies : Aquarium Test Kits : API Freshwater Master Test Kit : Amazon.com

Once you get that do water changes to keep your nitrate around 20ppm or lower. Preferrably around 10ppm or lower with fry. Relying on a pet store to do it generally doesn't end well.

So if you have a 40ppm nitrate then do a 50% water change. If it's 80ppm then do 2 50% water changes.

Even if you're not breeding it's good to have one. First thing I do if my fish are acting strange or a death is test my water. 99% of fish problems are water chemistry related IMO.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Well, they said my nitrates were about that much. But back to the question. I've used blackwater extract before but it wasn't really that effective (the water was still clear). That's why I switched to bogwood almond leaves (peat moss was too much of a hassle and I didn't know how to use it). So how many almond leaves would you recommend and how often would you recommend changing the water, but keeping the brown colour?

But none of my fish have been dying of disease lately. They've only died due to old age.

But none of my fish have been dying of disease lately. They've only died due to old age.

Are you sure? Almost all aquarium fish live 3+ years while many live to be 10 or more. The only fish I can think of in the trade that don't live much more than a year are killifish.

I put 6 almond leaves in my 5g and it started tanning. Not much, but if I compare to the 5g next to it, it shows. BUT, the medication we add to it (it's a medicated tank for sick fishes) has something to do with the colouring of the water too.

Also watch out for your pH, these things lower your pH

I use about 3 new leaves every 2 weeks in my 20 long.. weekly wc usually around 30%,50% once a month. Only a pair of apistos in there and lots of plants so nitrates are actually pretty low. I dump to big caps of Tetra blackwater in there while I'm filling back up.. 2 days later it's nice and dark again. The extract will keep it stained enough not freak the fish out and the almond leaves start leaching nicely after a day or two.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well, I prefer to use something that will gradually leach out tannins, so how many almond leaves would you recommend putting in a 24 gallon?

Up to 15 I suppose..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom