How Often Do You Feed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IME, no more than twice a day, if even twice. Most tanks will do plenty well if you feed once a day. (I say that because most fish food labels say three times a day) It reduces waste, for one thing. Even if you think the fish are hungry later, remember that fish are ALWAYS hungry! :D They'll always try to eat, unless they're absolutely stuffed. And there's no reason for them to be so stuffed. Another thing to factor in depends on yuor type of fish- what do you have?

I feed all my fishes every alternate day, its easy for the filter and gives time for the fish to digest their food properly.

The only exception to this is if you have fry - they need to eat thrice daily to grow out properly. The pleco should be fed several times a week with a sinking algae wafers, zuchinni, or other veggie.

I would say that one of (if not THE) biggest contributor to problems aquarists have with their tanks is related to overfeeding, so it is good to concern yourself with your feeding schedule - :)

what about africans? how often should i feed them. i feed once in morning w/ flake then once at night w/ pellets. just to mix it up. not alot when i feed though. let me know if im wrong plse

retorres70 - you are not wrong at all, and many feed twice a day.

A varied diet is best, so what you are doing sounds great. As long as they are actually eating what you put in there in a minute or two, you should be fine. It won't hurt them to eat less, but as long as there are no water quality issues and you pay attention to water changes you can continue like you have been.

I varry the feedings. One day a week I only feed once. The other week days it is twice daily. On weekends I may feed them 3 or 4 times a day but less at each feeding.
I now use 4 types of flake food, freezed dried bloodworms, and shrimp pellets.

Back
Top Bottom