How often do YOU feed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PBirdsong

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So how often does everyone feed their fish? I am debating on cutting back to only once a day with my fish and just doing one large feeding. What do you guys think?

One "large" feeding is a bad idea in my opinion. You would be much better off with a couple of small feedings, one in the morning and one at night. Fish are grazers and they really aren't made to eat a "large" feeding at once. Plus you may end up fouling your water with a large feeding. Also don't forget about the importance of variety when it comes to feeding.

We feed our Bettas and community inhabitants once or twice per day, sometimes we skip a day at random.
Our Oscar gets fed small snacks of pellet/stick food(3-5pcs), seldom does he get alot at one time. Almost all pellets and sticks get soaked with vitamins. He'll get a nightcrawler or a few crickets once a day if we have'em and the very rare feeder fish* from our established tanks.

*You don't want to be a chronic troublemaker in our tanks :twisted: .

talloulou said:
ChileRelleno I had a look at your gallery and your oscar is beautiful!
Thankyou, he is our darling, we dote on'im...
However, I keep sharing the compliments he recieves with'im, his head is swelling sooo much that I may have a Oscar with a nuchal hump :wink: .

Well, maybe I'll just cut back my servings and still keep it twice a day. Don't want my fish to get fat. :mrgreen:

They probably do though . . .

Once a day. I'm not awake enough in the morning to not spill in the whole can. I do it in stages though, a little pinch, and wait for that to get consumed before the next pinch. Very little makes it to the bottom. I'm breaking in a new tank now, soon I will get more snails to take care of the bottom droppings.

Some of my fish munch on the plants in-between feedings.

It depends on the fish. I was giving the advice of once every other day, but then I had a good hard look at my fish. The African cichlids were fine, but my little guys in the community tank were not as full as they should be, now they are fed daily. Just like water temps and pH can be different for different fish, so can the diet. Watch your fish closely and make adjustments accordingly. Also keep in mind that a varied diet is better than the same old thing day in and day out.

I feed two times a day. If I would have more time, probably more ofter. In nature the fish always get small bits here and there, not one big serving once. And these little, more often meals is what their digestive system is build for :pepsi: .

Back
Top Bottom