How Often Do YOU Not Feed the Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littlelouie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 5 cardinal tetras and 1 clown loach in a 6gal/23ltr tank with plants and a piece of driftwood.

I "fast" my fish one day per week.

What do others do?

What are the positives and neagatives to this?

Louise :D

One or two days per week I usually don't feed them. I heard from somewhere, probably here, that small hungry fish are small healthy fish. I don't really set aside a certain day, I just don't feed them when I feel like it. My fish are very healthy, pretty fat, and very bright colored, so I don't see any negatives yet. As far as positives, anything that helps me emulate their natural environment is good IMO.

my fish sometimes do not get fed for days ... perhaps 5 was the longest without adding food - they all seem to find plenty of algae and plant material to get them by, but they sure seem eager to pig out after I resume feeding

I've never noticed any adverse affects from their periods of foodlessness

they get so much food when I am around that they've all developed plenty of body fat... some of the fish have so much body fat that their bodys are bulging (it's not dropsy or any other infection, they're good and healthy, just fat)

I try to remember about once a week. It's also good because it helps keep the planaria down. They feed off of unused food, so if they don't get as much, they can't survive. :)

-j

Its much easier to overfeed then underfeed your fish. Well fed fish can go for a week or so without food and not starve (between the layer of fat and the micro organisms in the tank). There doesn't seem to be a reason to "fast" your fish on a regular basis tho; might be better to simply cut down on how often and how much you feed them.

On a different note; you DO know that tank is way too small for the clown loach yes? That they can grow upwards of a foot long and can live for a decade or 2?

Whew LOL I was worried for a min. Some people have no idea how big those guys can get; and aren't prepared to deal with it when they stop being cute lil fishies and become big fat fishies *grin*

Hey Alli, I don't think it will be long 'til my loach grows BIG, he's a hog, eating all day long and then getting his 8hrs snoozing each night (yes...on his side, tucked under the driftwood).

BTW...thanks for the comment on his pick in the "fragile loach" post :wink:

Louise

I also pick one day out of the week when I don't feed my fish...and the only reason is because I have 1 gourami in this tank along with 4 white tip sharks (catfish sharks) and the gourami always has a big belly from eating all the flakes that float on top. So I pick one day out of the week when I don't feed the fish to prevent constipation.

I agree about the flake food, it may be an easy meal to give but I don't think it's an easy meal to pass 8O

I have observed my clown loach having a bit of trouble and thought of fasting 1 day per week and increasing the veges. I think it seems to be working since my original post a fortnight ago :D

btw...I crush the flakes up quite a bit into smaller pcs (crumbs) because the fish don't wait for the flakes to absorb much water and I guess it just swells in their bellies. At least the smaller pcs won't do as much blocking :|

Louise :D

I don't feed my fish on the same day I do my water change. So once a week. Excpet for my pregnant guppy. She gets her feed everyday. I if I go away for less than a week I don't feed my fish either.

Back
Top Bottom