How often filter clean?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have several layers of sponges and I haven't changed the coarser ones in months, but my filter floss and micron polishing pads I change every month at least.

If it has to "build back up", you're too aggressive in your cleaning. The bio filter portion should sit in tank water while you clean the rest and only be gently rinsed in that water. The mechanical media (sponges, floss you're reusing, pads...) all can be squished vigorously under running tap water and then dechlorinated in a bucket before reassembly. It seriously takes me ten minutes including cleaning the impeller and it doesn't hurt the biofilter one bit.

I think the assumption is that the filter clean can disturb the bb to a degree (either accidentally or intended clean) so it is best to rotate filter cleans. I don't think this is the degree of cleaning, it's just if you have multiple filters you don't need to clean all at once.

I think the assumption is that the filter clean can disturb the bb to a degree (either accidentally or intended clean) so it is best to rotate filter cleans. I don't think this is the degree of cleaning, it's just if you have multiple filters you don't need to clean all at once.

I agree.

Back
Top Bottom