How Often / Much Should I Feed My Pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phishfarm

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a pleco who has been doing a splendid job at keeping my tank spotless. He's really making me look good.... :D Anyway, now that most of the obvious algae has been removed, I worry that he is running low on stuff to eat. I know there is algae in there that I can't see, but I'm not sure how much additive algae wafers / how often I should suppliment. Any advice for my hard-working little friend?

Any help is appreciated. Also, if it helps, he's about 2.5 - 3 inches, it's a 25 gal tank, and he's a roomate to two over-achiving gouramies that don't let much get to the aquarium floor... :roll:

I always like to keep a piece of romain lettuce in with mine. I switch it out about every other day. You can also add things like cucumber and zuchinni (make sure to take out the center with the seeds).

Also, what kind of pleco is it, some of them like to have some meatier things in their diets.

The closest I've been able to get to an ID is Hypostomus punctatus, but as I understand that is an overly generic classification.

And do you leave the cucumber / zuchinni in all of the time? Doesn't that spoil the tank?

This is a great question fhishfarm. IME healthy plecos love to eat. I think the thing they enjoy most is broccoli stem (microwaved for 30 seconds). Allow it to cool and it will sink to bottom of the tank where your pleco can feast all night. I like feeding the broccoli stem because it is very slow to fungus, and an excellent source of cellulose (which plecos need).

Driftwood should also be part of a pleco tank. Plecos do derive some of their nutrition from it.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom