How often should I be changing my filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drd77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been doing it every month with no real issue, but I realize that beneficial bacteria builds up on the filter and when you replace it it takes that away.

A lot of people on here would say not to change ur filter media unless it's falling apart, I agree, iv never changed mine in over 2 years with no real problems. I think the filter manufacturers say to change it monthly so they can make some money from it

A lot of people on here would say not to change ur filter media unless it's falling apart, I agree, iv never changed mine in over 2 years with no real problems. I think the filter manufacturers say to change it monthly so they can make some money from it

+1 .... wait till it's literally falling apart and then use it to seed the BB onto the replacement.

Look on the positive side ... think of the $$$$ you'll save not having to buy monthly replacements(y)!

Try to get all the debris and waste off the filter by squeezing/rubbing it off in your tank's water. Put your tank water in a bucket first.

I will never throw away my filter. Even if it breaks in to 2 pieces, I'll find a place to put it to preserve the bacteria while I put in a new filter.

Why have I been changing it every month and spending 15 dollars on a 6 pack then lol? They must really just tell you the month stuff to get your money, thanks guys.

Ha ya I learned not to change it from a family owned lfs. Petsmart told me to keep changing it. So just rinse it off when you do your pwc and it should be good for awhile! And like they said when yours starts falling apart put a new one if from of it and wait so the bb flows onto it

I think they say to change it because the activated carbon gets used up. Which is hogwash :p (well, that is true, but you don't need to change the filter because of this) If you need/want to use carbon, just buy a container of it and put it in a mesh bag.

Let the filter go as long as you can. Back when I ran a hang on back filter, I had two filter pads in there. One time I had to throw one away but I still had the other one with all of the bacteria on it.

It should be kept in mind that although keeping old filter media may save you a few bucks and help with the BB, it can also contribute to higher than desired nitrate levels because of the trapped waste which does not rinse out in dirty tank water when trying to clean it this way.

Zombie thread hahah, 9 talks and 6,000 views;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've been doing it every month with no real issue, but I realize that beneficial bacteria builds up on the filter and when you replace it it takes that away.

So if you know you're taking the beneficial bacteria away by replacing it.... why do it in the first place?

Well, since this thread is 3 years old, I am going to close it. I suspect the OP has probably figured out the answer. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom