How often should i feed my Pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wavey

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all.

I recent bought a a beautiful Pleco at the pet store. He's actually almost 11 inches long.

Along with the big little guy I bought some sinking shrimp pellets for him but I can of seem to find any Information online about how often I should give home these?

Any one know of aNy feeding guidelines that exist for plecos?

Hey all.

I recent bought a a beautiful Pleco at the pet store. He's actually almost 11 inches long.

Along with the big little guy I bought some sinking shrimp pellets for him but I cant seem to find any Information online about how often I should give home these?

Any one know of any feeding guidelines that exist for plecos?

cucumber slices,zuchini slices,sweet potatoe slices,algae wafers..once a day

Feed them once before you turn off the lights for good and try n drop the food near his usual hiding place, you won't see the food the following morning lol

Alternate the shrimp pellets with algae wafers (nls are excellent quality and don't foul the water)
Experiment with vegies- he may not try everything first time, but soon he will learn to taste the new treats, and you'll discover what his favourites are.
Mine love fresh cucumber slices, blanched capsicum, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, cooked choko, fresh strawberries, avocado, and frozen peas.
Most importantly, provide some driftwood or bogwood for him to rasp on :)

Thanks everyone! Much appreciated! I will try alternating in the shrimp pellets with those algae wafers you mentioned and I will try the veggies too. Just curious how do you get the cucumber slices to sink? Or does Rex (my Pleco) eventually just eat them while they are floating?

Thanks everyone! Much appreciated! I will try alternating in the shrimp pellets with those algae wafers you mentioned and I will try the veggies too. Just curious how do you get the cucumber slices to sink? Or does Rex (my Pleco) eventually just eat them while they are floating?

you can buy a veggie clip from your lfs for like 3 bucks

You can stick the zucchini on a fork, or tie it to a piece of slate, or clip it to the side with a mag float.... or buy a veggie clip.

ForumRunner_20130913_002401.jpg

My Pleco is out as soon as I put the food in, he has 3 wafers a day shrimp and algae , as the fish help him eat it , and twice a week he gets broccoli or cucumber , these are his favourites , I've tried everything else and these are the only ones he eats ... Also some sinking pellets ,

My pleco is an eating-pooping machine!
I got him about two months ago and adapted real well to my tank, 4 angels and lots of drift/bog wood. I was feeding it algae wafers but lately I have not fed him anything since he is devouring the drift wood and whatever the angels pass by. The only problem now is cleaning the bottom of the tank every other day or so due to his eating habit. Never knew they can actually eat the softer drift wood.

My pleco is an eating-pooping machine!
I got him about two months ago and adapted real well to my tank, 4 angels and lots of drift/bog wood. I was feeding it algae wafers but lately I have not fed him anything since he is devouring the drift wood and whatever the angels pass by. The only problem now is cleaning the bottom of the tank every other day or so due to his eating habit. Never knew they can actually eat the softer drift wood.

They eat the soft wood and the biofilm that coats it because it aids their digestion. You still need to feed him wafers and vegies though :)

They eat the soft wood and the biofilm that coats it because it aids their digestion. You still need to feed him wafers and vegies though :)

This guy is growing like no other pleco I've owned.
Feeding time he's out there center stage along with the angels sucking up flakes and especially veggie flakes. I do drop some zucchini once in a while for him.
My problem with him is not being able to control his eating and the amount of waste it leaves behind. I would have found a new home for it if it wasn't for the fact that this one in particular is a very active, aware and social fish, it adds lots of movement to a rather quiet angel tank.

Hey all.

Along with the big little guy I bought some sinking shrimp pellets for him but I can of seem to find any Information online about how often I should give home these?

Any one know of aNy feeding guidelines that exist for plecos?

Got a picture of this pleco?

Got a picture of this pleco?

image-1589733391.jpg

Never mind figured it out. This him in my new tank. Rock bedding has also been added since this photo was taken he also lives with a lot of cichlids now

Great picture. 11 inches is big fish, you're talking almost a foot long. Plecos get huge. You must have a big tank, my biggest tank is a 55 g and I don't think I'll be able to keep mine once he gets that big.

Back
Top Bottom