How often should I introduce new fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexandraDanielle21

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello. It's been a week since I added the first group of fish to my 40 gallon aquarium. I have two balloon-belly mollies (one male and one female) and four Mickey Mouse platies (three female and one male). I didn't know how many to add at once, because I didn't want to throw off the water balance, so now I'm just waiting to make sure that everything levels out. I'm interested in hearing what everyone else thinks on how long I should wait to add more, and suggestions on what fish to add. And shoyuld I quarentine them in a seperate tank before adding them? All if the fish that I have are under an inch currently, and shouldn't grow past 2-2 1/2 so I would like to stay around the same size with the newbies.

I think weekly is usually ok as long as your water parameters have been good.

I'm really new to this hobby, but QT-ing new arrivals seems like a good idea to me. Not only does it protect the fish in my display tank, but its provided me with another aspect of the hobby to partake in.

Thanks. Now, I know that you're new but in your opinion should I be adding less fish then the original batch, or the same amount? I just do not want to throw the water levels out of whack.

Thanks. Now, I know that you're new but in your opinion should I be adding less fish then the original batch, or the same amount? I just do not want to throw the water levels out of whack.

I generally aim for every two weeks and i don't add all the same amount of fish 1/3 of the fish is usually what I aim for. So the more fish you have in a tank the more you can add at once.

It's also useful to keep close tabs on params if everything is good add if not dont. Also the species you want to add is a factor if your adding discus I would wait more that a week after its cycled but if its hardy tetras its less crucial

Back
Top Bottom