how often should you clean just the Filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubble_B0y

Aquarium Advice Addict
I perform water changes weekly.

But how often are you supposed to clean just the filter?

What do you mean by clean? If you mean replace: not until it's literally falling apart. For cleaning, I rinse mine out in old tank water during a water change (I squeeze the media to get all the gunk off and the water turns brown). I do this maybe once or twice a month. Once every month or two I'll take apart the filters and clean the housing of any gunk as well.

i have filter floss/filter wool in my Aquaclear Hang-on-back filter.

After 1-2months it gets black and very dirty.
Can I throw that in the garbage?

I only do a thorough clean of filters twice a year, prefering to keep the safe and needed bacteria for as long as possible, but it all depends on your set up...

I may be wrong, but I've not had any problems with my tanks so far.

Had to replace whole filter the past weekend, due to the electric wire going haywire...
:wave:

Filter Cleaning

I perform water changes weekly.

But how often are you supposed to clean just the filter?

Hello Bubble...

I squeeze out and rinse the filter media in old tank water every week when I do my water changes and just put it back in the filter. With all the plants and fish I have, the media would get too clogged if I didn't clean it every week.

B

what i do is i replace the cartridge every month because dont you need the carbon that is in the cartridge?

Back
Top Bottom