How often to feed pleco Zucchini?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mustangman11224

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all

My pleco loves cooked zucchini and I was wondering how often should I feed him that over algae wafers... Is the zucchini better then algae wafers should I doo one week zucchini one week algae wafers one week cucumber( which he hasn't had yet lol) there is tons of drift wood in my tank and I make sure to put extra flakes of fish food in the tank so they sink down and he can pick them up... Any suggestions.... Thanks for the help
Dan

Hey all

My pleco loves cooked zucchini and I was wondering how often should I feed him that over algae wafers... Is the zucchini better then algae wafers should I doo one week zucchini one week algae wafers one week cucumber( which he hasn't had yet lol) there is tons of drift wood in my tank and I make sure to put extra flakes of fish food in the tank so they sink down and he can pick them up... Any suggestions.... Thanks for the help
Dan
Hello,
I am no pleco expert, but I know they love veggies and primarely eat that. I would feed it to him at least twice a week. Algae wafers provide the nutrients and daily value he needs to prevent developing lacks in his system.

Ok thank you I'll feed him his wafer tomarrow lol he's had zucchini the past two days.
Thanks for the help

I actually blanch 2 1/4" slices of zucchini each morning and clip them on the side of the tank with veggie clips. Not only does my longfin albino bnp eat on it, but my whiptail cats, angelfish, and dwarf gourami all enjoy having it to munch on every day. It also keeps the angels from nibbling on my plants.

I keep meaning to feed my new pleco veggies, although he seems quite happy working on the algae in my tank.
How much cucumber/zucchini should a juvenile be fed? 1 thin slice? 1/2 a slice? Do you prepare them first, or just drap a raw clice in?

I have been giving a kind of thick slice and I put it in a bowl of water in the microwave and nuke it for a minute and a half to two mins... Mine didnt like raw so I started blanching it for him. I take it out after 24 hrs....

I have 5 bristlenose plecos and I feed 2-3 slices of cucumber or zucchini maybe 3 times a week. I buy the veggies and slice them into 1/2 inch rounds, wrap 3 slices or so up i plastic wrap, and then freeze it all in a big freezer bag and then when I want to feed some I take a little pack of the slices out, put it in a cup of tank water, and microwave it for maybe a minute and a half and let it cool down. I find freezing it before I cook it helps it sink better, I don't use a veggie clip or anything to hold it down. Also, it keeps the veggies from going bad before I can use it all and I don't have to buy it as often.

I slice 2 1/4" thick pieces, lay them on a paper towel and microwave them 15 seconds. Remove them and hold the pieces under cold water for a few seconds to do a rapid cool (blanching), then put them on veggies clips and hang them. My pleco's know when I go to feed in the morning they come up and wait right in the area they know I clip the zucchini at. I just keep the zucchini in a zip lock in the fridge and use it up in a few days. You just need to find the way that works best for you. I don't feed algae tablets so zucchini and cooked, deshelled, smashed peas are available daily. I still see them rasping on the DW and on the glass.

My rubber lips go crazy over algae waefers. They will chase my clown loaches off. Every morning when I feed the tank they poke their heads out of the caves just waiting for a waefer to drop.

They haven't taken to zuchinni yet, but I'm sure they will in time.

That's a good idea.... I'll slice the rest of it up and freeze it so it doesn't go bad as quick. I had an extra shish kebab scure and I stick
It Through the edge of the zucchini and push the scure into the gravel and it keeps it at the bottom of the tank... My pleco even picks it up and gets the other side to lol I have learned to cut smaller prices then this lol that was my first time feeding him.

Attachments

• image-2767355566.jpg
    image-2767355566.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 166
Sorry to jump in for the cucumber do you put it in raw or blanch it first. I'm new to plecos here is my butterfly pleco

Attachments

• image-1058589060.jpg
    image-1058589060.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 150
  • image-886863074.jpg
    image-886863074.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 169
Wow he's cool... I actually don't know... I'm new as well.... Idt u have to cook the cucumber though because its not
Like the zucchini... Hopefully someone will chime in and explain I'm interested as well.

Thanks hope someone will enlighten us about the cucumber. I was going to get a bristlenose and saw this one did my research and he could easily fit in my tank.

I blanch my cucumber for my bnp and butterfly plec they go crazy for it lol

Thanks for the info I'm going to feed mine some cucumber tonight

I'll give mine some cucumber next week when he finished the zucchini lol thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom