How quickly to change GH in established aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newbfishlvr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am starting to adjust my aquarium GH and KH in an established 150 gallon so that I can have softer water fish. Current GH is 18, KH 7, PPM 580. I have decided to mix 1/3 RO water with tap to be GH 12 and KH 5. I currently have 4 angels, 16 black neon tetras, and 2 Peacock eels in 150 gallon tall aquarium.

How quickly can I add my 1/3 RO to Tap water mixture into aquarium? I understand that this needs to be done very slowly to avoid osmotic shock. I am wondering how fast to introduce RO water into the tank. I want to avoid any chance of fish deaths. Any experience in changing GH and KH and how fast to do it (days, weeks, how much to add etc.) Thank you in advance for any thoughts and input!

When I did mine I in my 37g I know much smaller I did mine over a month during water changes. Weekly I would do 50% changes and I started by adding 2 gallons a week (I had to by mine) In roughly a month I had mine up to 10 gallons of RO and 10 gallons of tap and I only used either RO or Distilled water to top off the tank during the week if it needed it. I don't know if that is the correct way to do it but its the way I did it and I had no issues bring my pH from 8.8 down to 6.7

Thanks for the reply! I did a 50% water change today, and added 5 gallons RO/DI water to it. Weekly sounds good to avoid any chance of throwing anything off too much.

Back
Top Bottom