How reliable is the Aqueon 100w preset heater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxkitzoxx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Image1477854640.063558.jpg
(White spots are bubbles btw)

My tank came with the Aqueon 100 watt preset submersible heater. It says online that it is preset to 78F. I have not plugged in the heater yet because i am wondering,
how well does it work?
Does it keep the water at that consistent temperature?
And is 78F ok for fancy goldfish?

Edit: if i plug it in will it raise the temp too quickly?

I would not use a heater for goldfish. They generally do not need one.
You could probably use that for another tank, maybe for 10-20g. Not a fan of the preset heaters because there is not way to adjust them (to compensate for room temperature).

I would not use a heater for goldfish. They generally do not need one.
You could probably use that for another tank, maybe for 10-20g. Not a fan of the preset heaters because there is not way to adjust them (to compensate for room temperature).

Should i look for a new type of heater for when it starts to get really cold? What kind would you recommend?

I believe a general temperature range for fancy goldfish is 65-80F with temps in lower 70s being ideal.
How cold do you expect it to get in your house during the winter?

I believe a general temperature range for fancy goldfish is 65-80F with temps in lower 70s being ideal.
How cold do you expect it to get in your house during the winter?

Around December - march the temperature drops to 30-40 F and my current house has very bad heating so it gets very cold. I am worried they will be exposed to cold water for too long and am interested in a reliable heater.
i found one on amazon that is adjustable and i could keep the water at a steady 68F
Thank you for your help

Sounds like your found a heating solution.
Back in that day when I had a larger pond (~1500g) I've had oranda goldfish overwinter outdoors. Temps got into the 40s (there was a layer of ice on top for periods of time). Not ideal for them.

Adjustable is the way to go I also don't like the preset ones , but I don't have Goldfish, so if I get ich I can turn the heat up, lower it when needed etc etc , heaters aren't to expensive for what you need you can get the regular aqueon 100 watt adjustable for like 20.00 I believe

I have the same one and love it! Even tough to warm for goldfish perfect for my Kribs! I don't like preset but it was the cheapest heater in the store except the tetra brand (they are not reliable).

Back
Top Bottom