how should i clean tank of death?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it empty or does it have water in it? What are your trying to take off/get rid of?

....and what was causing the death? Cleaning methods will vary depending on what the problem was...

i don't know what is causing the death, all i know is now a fish can't live in either one for more than two days. :( one does not water in it right now the other one does. also what is a good test fish for it when i finish cleaning it.

Need to know your tank setup, how big, what kind of filtration, how long it ran, what stock?
As much info as you can give will help determine the problem.

well they are small tanks, one is 1.5 one is 1. and i know i probably should throw them away but i really want to fix them up. both had small filters, one i had for 4-5 years one for 6 months. in one was fry in the other was a few small shrimp. i came home one day and almost all my fry had died and it now keeps killing fish. in the other one i noticed it just kept killing fish

well they are small tanks, one is 1.5 one is 1. and i know i probably should throw them away but i really want to fix them up. both had small filters, one i had for 4-5 years one for 6 months. in one was fry in the other was a few small shrimp. i came home one day and almost all my fry had died and it now keeps killing fish. in the other one i noticed it just kept killing fish
Dude is this your first tank? A tank that small is hard to upkeep and stock. Try a bigger tank. Like a 20 gallon.

no i have multiple tanks, and I've kept fish for around 8 years or so.

Hmmm...not sure what to say. I have always wondered if it is even possible to cycle a tank that small, and an uncycled tank will be a constant source of stress for any inhabitants. And stress kills. So cleaning these tanks might not help the situation. But I have not had a tank that small in many, many, years. Hopefully, someone here who is into nano tanks can chime it with valid suggestions.

Another thought is that maybe something got into the tanks...a pesticide spray? Or cigarette smoke?

no one smokes and there in my room so no pesticides. how would you cycle a tank that small?

Hey! You should use one tank to house your inverts, small fish, ect and make one into a minisump! You could have live plants and stuff and it would be sweet!

yeah that is what i wanted to do but whats a minisump?
for one i wanted to heavily plant and put 1-2 small shrimp

yeah that is what i wanted to do but whats a minisump?
for one i wanted to heavily plant and put 1-2 small shrimp
Well minisump isnt a technical word I just made it up. I just meant make one of the tanks into a small sump for the other. Sorry lol You could probably have quite a few more shrimp and some snails though.

ok first i have to figure out how to clean it though.
I would recommend a good rinsing and scrubbing with a plain soft sponge or cloth. If you are really worried about it though you can use a bleach solution and dry it overnight. I have never been comfortable with this but people do it so it is prolly ok...

Run it with a dash of bleach in the water for 24 hours. This will make sure it gets into all the nooks and crannys of the filter, gravel, etc. Then dump it all into a bucket, scrub everything with a fish-only scrub brush, and then put it all into a bucket with fresh water and a large dose of chlorine remover. Let it all sit overnight, stirring the bucket around now and then to make sure the dechlor gets into everything. Then rinse, rinse, re-assemble, and get it cycled.

I can't help with the "how to cycle a small tank" question, as I have never done it...sorry!

i cleaned one out and started to plant it. ill post a picture after i finish planting it! :)

Back
Top Bottom