How stocked is your tank using AqAdvisor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sealife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I know lots of people on here dont like to follow aqadvisor, but out of curiosity, if you used it to put in all your aquariums specs and fish, what does it read for you?
Mine reads:

Stocked: 105%
Filtration: 160%

Whats yours?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is Aqadvisor working for you guys? Lately when I try loading their page, I keep getting redirected to some malware site...

My 10g (the only tank I'd guess to be "overstocked") reads at 120% stocked and 324% filtration.

^^ 324% filtration!!?? Lol wow
Do you have a 20g sump on your 10g tank?

Last edited by a moderator:
For 1 Figure 8 puffer in a 20 long with an AC50.

71% stocked
186% filtration

2 Male Bettas in a 10g

51% stocked
Sponge Filter

3 Fancy Goldfish in a 40b

82% stocked
256% filtration with an AC70, Marineland 350b, and Marineland 150b
31% water change schedule per week. lol I could do a 31% water change per day. If that's all I did in a week I wouldn't even be able to measure the nitrates after 2 weeks.

I know lots of people on here dont like to follow aqadvisor, but out of curiosity, if you used it to put in all your aquariums specs and fish, what does it read for you?
Mine reads:

Stocked: 105%
Filtration: 160%

Whats yours?

That can't be right how can you even get more than 100%

100% is the most % you can get

It's the sites way of saying there overstocked and running more filtration than a standard tank that size. It's not real reliable IMO but a good rough guide

That can't be right how can you even get more than 100%

100% is the most % you can get

Filtration percentage for the calculator is determined by how much waste can your filtration handle compared to how stocked the tank is. 100% means you have exactly enough filtration for the amount of bioload in the tank, 200% would be you have enough filtration to handle double your current bioload, etc. It's completely doable to have above 100%, and is actually required unless you want ammonia and nitrite spikes between water changes.

As mentioned above, it's a rough estimate, but it's still a helpful statistic nonetheless when combined with your experience, research, and personal observations of how the tank is doing.

Give me a link to this site I would love to see what they say about my tank

I bet it's very wrong

If it's based on the 1" per gal rule then don't bother looking

It's not possible to judge a tanks stocking levels that way as what looks bad on paper may work fine
It's the owner alone who should judge if it's overstocked no one else let alone a chart

Give me a link to this site I would love to see what they say about my tank

I bet it's very wrong

If it's based on the 1" per gal rule then don't bother looking

It's not possible to judge a tanks stocking levels that way as what looks bad on paper may work fine
It's the owner alone who should judge if it's overstocked no one else let alone a chart

It's not based on that at all, it's based on activity levels and bioloads of specific species profiles. Not perfect, but it's a decent rough guess.

The site has been having some issues lately for some people, but here it is: AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

20H Community Tank - 125% Stocking, 115% filtration (AC20 and AC30)
10G Community Tank - 102% Stocking, 114% filtration (Aqueon10 plus CA10 Sponge)
10G Betta Tank - 48% Stocking, 795% filtration (AC20 plus sponge)

Note: the betta tank is a temporay home for 7 unexpected platy fry, with the fry I've got a riduculous filtration capacity of 1368%!

44g pentagon:
Stocking level; 98%
Filtration; 77% :(
20g:
Stocking level; 86%
Filtration; 219%
55g:
Stocking level; 57%
Filtration; 175%
30g:
Stocking level; 21%
Filtration; 438%
10g
Stocking level: 87%
Filtration 122%
9g fry grow out tank:
Stocking level 29%
Filtration; 447%

If AqAdvisor worked for me today I'd post my numbers, but I think I'm somewhere in the following ranges last I checked...

75g:
105-115% stocking

56g system (36g display, dual 10g shrimp colony/veggie filter/sump tanks):
75-85% stocking

Don't remember the filtration percentages...

Sometimes it works for me, other times it doesnt. Its been weird for a few weeks now.

Last time I looked I think it was 120% for stocking and 180% for filtration I think. Generally I find it useable, I think I've only had odd results looking at single fish type stocking (tetras I think, a while ago).

Hmm? I tried to use the site, but they don't have a filter that matches the SeaClear System II Bio-ball filter? Does anyone have an idea which filter is comparable?

I have the 36 gallon System II tank stocked with 6 bloodfin, 2 black skirt, 2 angels and 2 pearl gourami. It says my stocking is 89%!

Well that link doesn't give you the option for a sump or pump flow so a bit pointless for people with larger tanks

Back
Top Bottom