How to breed Corys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopefulHobbiest

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so i've been doing some reading on how to accomplish this goal...

one page said to make sure they are well fed and to change 20% of the water with colder water(only buy about 4 degrees) this will simulate the temp change in nature that occurs when it rains.

most of the pages have said the same thing, they also mention behavior to be on the lookout for: nudging, pairs swimming alongside each other.. things like this.

my corys have laid eggs about 2-3 weeks ago but no matter what i do i can't seem to get them to do it again... does anyone have any ideas??

Low nitrates are believed but not proven to be a trigger

Cold water changes from above the water level to simulate rain also are triggers

Generally just having lots of happy cories is the number 1 trigger though

I believe Cynic is right. It's probably a combination of all those things. I think that water quality and diet are at the top of the list. My C. Panda spawned over a month ago without me even being aware of it so I don't know if any ONE thing triggered it or not. I do know they have shown spawning behavior without me doing anything.

My Sterbai's go into breeding mode every weekend after I do my water change, 25 litres tap water and 25 litres of RO water, temp drops by about 2 after the change. Within hours one of my females will be flying round the tank depositing eggs along the tank glass surfaces, followed closely by males and most other fish in the tank - an egg that lasts 20 seconds is very lucky. pH is 6.8, nitrates between 5 and 10, temp usually around 26 - 24 after water change.

Back
Top Bottom