How to build bacterial media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
SO someone on Yahoo told me to start building bacterial media in my present tank so I can use it to cycle my future 30 gallon tank faster. How exactly do I do that? I saw some media at Petco today. Should I just buy that instead of making my own? I have an Aqueon QuietFlow 10 for my 10 gallon btw if that helps

Easiest way is just take the cartridge out of the HOB your gonna use for the new tank and put it in the running filter behind the old cartridge. You can also just run the whole filter on the old tank. To get it established.

Mrc8858 said:
Easiest way is just take the cartridge out of the HOB your gonna use for the new tank and put it in the running filter behind the old cartridge. You can also just run the whole filter on the old tank. To get it established.

But my next tank is going to be a 30 gallon so my cartridge won't fit

You can put it anywhere you want really the more water flow thru it the better.

Bobjoefredsky said:
But my next tank is going to be a 30 gallon so my cartridge won't fit

Then just run the whole filter on the established tank. If you can't do that either, you could always just stick the media in the tank... Or put some other kind of media in your established tank filter, then put that in the new tanks filter when you get it, to seed the cartridge.

How long take to cicle the new tank? im using my old filter in my new 65 gallons but the amonia is 0.25 nitrites 0.50 and nitrates 0 the ph 7.6 any suggestion for me?

paytertot said:
Then just run the whole filter on the established tank. If you can't do that either, you could always just stick the media in the tank... Or put some other kind of media in your established tank filter, then put that in the new tanks filter when you get it, to seed the cartridge.

Could I also use some of my 10 gallon water for my 30 gallon? Also how long should I run my 10 gallon filter in my 30 gallon tank before my fish get unhealthy in the 10 gallon?

Despirotomatico said:
How long take to cicle the new tank? im using my old filter in my new 65 gallons but the amonia is 0.25 nitrites 0.50 and nitrates 0 the ph 7.6 any suggestion for me?

Took me exactly a month and a half, I checked my water at Petco every week. Ammonia was the easiest part. You see I used goldfish to cycle (DO NOT EVER DO THIS) and it made it worse so I returned them and used minnows. Did a few water changes. Oh and I used this stuff (you should use it too)

http://www.petco.com/product/111072/Microbe-Lift-Special-Blend-Aquarium-Bacteria.aspx

This brings ammonia down, nitrites too and just reduces the time it takes to cycle your tank. Smells awful though.

Despirotomatico said:

Nitrates build AFTER nitrite so I introduced fish while it was just beginning to build. My pH and nitrates were abnormally high but you know it doesn't really impact the fish.

Bobjoefredsky said:
Could I also use some of my 10 gallon water for my 30 gallon? Also how long should I run my 10 gallon filter in my 30 gallon tank before my fish get unhealthy in the 10 gallon?

Wait so there are already fish in the 10?

Back
Top Bottom