How to care for SHRIMP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I really want shrimp but my last two attempts were failures. The first attempt with anything other the ghost shrimp was with amanos and they lasted a week and then molted then died. Next I tried Red Cherries, Amanos, and sakura reds. All but the amanos essentially disappeared. They died soon after (I had some plant issues.)
So I have guppies that tend to be... inquisitive. They killed my mystery snaiil because they kept pecking at it and he never came out of his shell. But on the first try I had no live polants. Could either of these two be the cause?
Thanks and God bless!

Aggressive or dominant fish will stress out you shrimp to deaf.

Minimum need
Shrimps need very stable water, 6.2 to 7.2 PH . They adapt to your PH. At least 3 minimum in a tank. A hiding place. Water 23c. Only passive fish in the same thanks . Like tetra . Cycle tank.

If they can kill a snails, they will kill your shrimp.

ok thanks. Maybe when I get new fish I can try again :(

Sorry to hear bout those losses but dont give up hope, I started off with Crystal red and blue dwarf shrimp and they eventually died, felt down but didnt stop me, now I have 6 amano shrimp and 2 Bamboo shrimp in my main tank and in my nano tank I have Tiger/Rhino and Red Cherry shrimp, all healthy and very active and great to watch :)

My kids love watching the rhinos catching a ride in the bubbler lol

The key to a successful shrimp colony is to start out with a large group, put them in a well established well planted tank, and do not put any fish in there. Once the colony starts growing, you can experiment with fish, but in my experience the only ones that leave the shrimplets alone are BN plecos, otocinclus, and (maybe) corys.

If you do it this way it literally takes care of itself. I do water changes on my tanks just because I have a dosing routine and like to keep clean water, but other than that I do nothing with the shrimp tank apart from add food every now and again.

Shrimp also need a supply of iodine to molt properly. Ideally they should get it from a balanced diet, but failing that you can add iodine to the tank.

I have 5 Amano Shrimps in my tank and never had any sort of problem with them, I've been having serious issues with Fish Deaths in my tank, but my Shrimp have always been healthy. They would have periods of time where they would do nothing but hide in dark areas for days at a time, then start running around the tank eating a ton of algae. I've heard that a source of Calcium could be used instead of Iodine, and the Calcium is present in some fish foods and trace amounts might get into the water.

For calcium insert a piece of cuttlebone under substrate

I have 5 Amano Shrimps in my tank and never had any sort of problem with them, I've been having serious issues with Fish Deaths in my tank, but my Shrimp have always been healthy. They would have periods of time where they would do nothing but hide in dark areas for days at a time, then start running around the tank eating a ton of algae. I've heard that a source of Calcium could be used instead of Iodine, and the Calcium is present in some fish foods and trace amounts might get into the water.

Mine died the second time after my tank absolutely crashed. I think my guppies are too inquisitive lol

Back
Top Bottom