How to change substrates in my 10g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dud

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 10G tank with 5-10mm sized gravel (about 3 lbs), whisper 10 filter, 2 ghost shrimps, 3 neon, 2 white cloud mountain minnow, 1 bunch of anacharis, 4 plastic plants, 15W light, and an aerator.

The tank has been set up for 10 days, and I am doing 20% water change every other day. Ammonia went up to between .5 and 3 ppm yesterday, had a second neon casualty, and nitrite is still negligible.

We wanted a planted tank, so when we got the tank and stuffs from our friend, went to the LFS, and were told that any gravel will do, so that 'any' gravel is what we have. Should've studied a little more before we did that.

We want an aquarium with nice grass cover and a couple of impressions here and there, but not really a overwhelming background. I don't want my tank to look too tight.

I read that for plants some better substrate would be necessary, so I ended up buying 15lbs of flourite. I plan to make a DIY CO2, and I also ordered a penguin biowheel 125 online, so I expect to get it in a few days. I haven't decided on AH stuff for the lighting yet.

My question is, what's the best plan to change the substrate in my tank?

My first plan is as follows.
1. Once I get the biowheel, keep it running until the tank completely cycle
2. Take the fish and the existing gravel and water out
3. rinse the flourite and mix it with the existing gravel (since I have a mature biowheel, I won't have to worry about hurting the bacteria in the gravel)
4. Fill half tank and plant and decor whatever I got
5. Fill tank and put back fish
6. Buy more plants

My second plan is
1. return flourite and forget about it.

Hmmm, any suggestions?

I think there are some fish safe fertilizers or nutrients specifically for planted tanks which should work fine for your tank. I've heard that with 10 gal tanks, you really need to be on top of things if you use CO2 because they don't have much room for error. Maybe try a planted tank first without the flourite and CO2, but with the plant nutrient stuff, if that works, then you'll save money. If the plants look like they need something more, just go back to your original plan, and the plants should be just fine. If you go with low light plants (1.5-2 watts per gal, which is what you have), then you won't have to worry about CO2. Hope this helps! I'm sure someone else more experienced will chime in soon, however this is what I've been doing with my own 10 gal, but without any plant nutrients added ( but I have a tad bit more lighting so I've been getting a little algea) and every thing is growing really nicely. good luck!!!

btw... WELCOME to AA!!!

If you want to keep things just like they are, you can grow plenty of nice plants in that size tank with the lighting and substrate you already have.

Java fern, java moss, crypts and anubias are some that would do great in your tank as it is. The crypts would benefit from some root fertilizer tabs, and that would be all you need. It would be a great introduction into planted tanks, and then when you get a larger tank you can look into high light, CO2, fancy substrate, etc.

I keep high light tiny tanks (5gal- big pain in the neck) and low light tiny tanks, as well as high light big tanks, and believe me, the bigger the tank the easier it is to keep everything under control. My low light small tanks are almost maintenance free, other than regular water changes.

You can certainly go all out and outfit this tank with AHSupply lighting, CO2, substrate and the works, but you have to stay on top of nutrient/light balance, and constantly be battling algae, and it is much easier to do all of this with a larger body of water, so to speak.

If you do change out your substrate, your plan of doing it after the cycle, and using a mix with your existing gravel is a wise move - often changing substrate can result in another cycle.

Back
Top Bottom