how to change to another filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dannii

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi, i was just wanting some advice on the best way to change to a another filter in my tank, at the moment i have and internal filter but i want to change to an external. what is the best way to go about this without the risk of killing my fish?

thanks

You can put a sponge from the internal into the canister. That will help seed the filter. And there are some products that help speed up the cycle eg "Safe Start". Not sure how effecive they are though?

would it be better to transfer all the internal filter sponges (2) and the ceramic rings over and in theory it would be still like having not changed anything. (i know that might sound silly)

6-8 weeks to be sure. You can squeeze out the sponges from the internal into the canister filter media to give it a head start too.

Yep squeeze out the old sponges then leave the old filter running for at least a month to be sure. Test the water daily after the removal to ensure the new filter is coping.

Back
Top Bottom