How to Clean Tape Residue off an Acrylic Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaMaster

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Help Please!

I just purchased an acrylic fish tank, and there is a lot of tape residue in a few spots. For some reason, there was a lot of clear tape that came in the package and found its way onto the tank surface. I have tried using warm water and a soft cloth, and it was ineffective. In fact, the residue stain has smudged, and now appears to be foggy and unsightly. How can I fix this? I have attempted bleach and mild detergent also. Still nothing. Please help! :(

You could try vinegar or rubbing alcohol. I don't think either would cloud the acrylic. You might try a test on the underside of the tank to be sure.

inside or outside... im not 100% sure, but i think goop off or something like that would be ok if it is OUTSIDE the tank... ive used it on tractors before on the plexiglass windows to remove stickers

I would try isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol), before using any products with chemicals that might not evaporate as quickly.
It will probably work great, and it evaporates faster than water, and shouldnt leave a residue afterwards.

Goo-Gone. It's the stuff. As suggested, test on a part of the tank which is not visible during normal use. I'd put this on a paper towel, give it a wipe until the glue is wet, scrape up the soggy glue and then wash it with soap.

Goo Gone Cleaners |

that stuff does leave a nasty oily film on glass and it might eat away at a acrylic seems like i saw some used on Plexiglas glass once did not end well as recall.

goo-gone would be that last resort.imo

the "magic erasers" from I think Mr. Clean take everything off. We have used the industrial version on aircraft canopies and wind screens (which are very vulnerable to scratching like acrylic) for years before they released this "available in stores" version.

Back
Top Bottom